Note to New Members ×

Several people have asked for a pic of my 10 foot fish

C5 Golfer

I tried before and had the same problem .....under 100k and wouldn't upload . It has to do with max resolution 640x480...

I wish fin would create a place to put pics/vids because the 100k limit is too low. He emailed me and said that it was for the dialup customers but probably costs him some cash for the bandwidth when we all place big files. Last year we were placing movies (3meg) 2-3 in a thread no problem.

And here is the story to go with it..

I friend with whom I used to play Volleyball called me and wanted to go GIANT as in super big Sturgeon fishing with him on the Columbia River. It was a helluva day. These sturgeons are big if I did not mention it already. We were on the water about 4 am, by 5 we were waiting for the first fish to hit. The guide boat is anchored and we have about 150 feet of line out with this set up-- 3 lb lead ball weight, 200 lb test leader, with 100 lb test wire line and a fighting belt for supporting the butt of the rod and the bait we used is about a 3 lb whole shad with one hook that had an opening the size of three of my fingers. (About the size you'd use to almost hang a side of beef). Well anyway back to my fish. About 5:30 we started getting a hit on one of the two rods we had out, the guide who was a super good guy, tried to set the hook and missed, happened a couple more times and finally it was set and I was in for a ride of my life. When a fish is on the guide runs the motor, on this fish I have the pole, Mike was up to disconnect from the 45 lb anchor and Karl was reeling like mad on the other pole to get it out of the way. I can best describe what is happening as this- Find a big fishing rod with an adjustable drag reel, now turn the drag down to where you can not pull any line out, stand on your porch and hook up the line to small automobile and have him drive off in any direction. And now the guide says to you with the fear of God “do not let go of the pole!”

I fight this bad boy as we motor downstream and then up stream thru other boats back forth and finally as both of us are getting tired he shows himself…. I say “holy ****!, we’re going to need a bigger boat (just like from Jaws). He dives again for another run and finally come up again and we get him along side the boat. The guide unhooks him and we let him go to fight another day. This fish was estimated as nice fish coming in at about 9 feet and 400 lbs. Medium by sturgeon standards. My arms hurt so much , my left bicep is so tense it won’t relax but I am laughing so hard with excitement I don’t feel it yet. We go back up to our anchor buoy and send two more whole shad to the bottom. Over the next many hours we have many hits and we hook up to 7 more of these pigs and get 4 of them to the boat. Have I said I was tired yet! Damn arms hurt but want more. It is now getting time to leave and we give it 10 more minutes then the left pole hits again. Karl’s turn is up and he goes to fighting position at the transom and this guy takes off downstream I can hear the reel spitting out line from the bow of the 22 foot boat. We are off to war again. This one is a fighter but hanging out on the bottom, some of the other fish surfaced and jumped out of the water – what a show that was! Anyway Karl is tired and we are getting into several boats so the guide says I want a fresh set of arms on him, so I take over and it feels like I have hooked mother earth and she is shaking like an earthquake. Finally she tires and we see her of the port side – over 10 feet she is and the guide thinks about 500 lbs, I inch this guy over to the side for photos and the fish must have been shy because it takes off straight down with the reel singing a song. Finally get the fish back up and we shoot a few photos with the digital camera. We go home and I crash super tired.

That is one hell of a catch there. I have read a few articles about the gigantic sturgeon from teh Colombia, and have an old episode of IN-FISHERMAN where they were fishing sturgeon out of HELL'S Canyon on the Colombia. I would love to have the chance to tangle with a fish like that. Unfortunately, all I have to brag about is a 3'9" (45in.) Muskie:( ;) . Again, Nice Catch:cool: