Note to New Members ×

The pogo longboard is the most expensive snowboard in the world.

RJ-PS

The new Prior WCR Titanals are going to be about $1000CDN (+$50 for the roundtail option I presume) ;-)

From Dean Thompson recently:

"Our WCR boards with titanal have more than just a Titanal topsheet. The boards are constructed with two layers of Titanal (above and below the core) and use carbon instead of glass. Special dampening and layup processes are also employed. The overall product is damper and lighter than current race boards. They work great! We plan to officially release these new WCR boards for special order in early January. Cost is C$999."

Kevlar? Gnarlonium? Voodoo Juice?

Seriously though - are they snapping under world cup level riders, or a certain weight rider, certain conditions?

I assume the titanal Coilers , Kesslers, Priors etc. ALL have this problem?

Is it such that they are not worth buying and racing on if you are not sponsored?

I haven't seen enough of the Prior or Coiler product to make much of a statement. But I have seen enough Kesslers snap to make me wonder if I would be willing to spend the money. The Kesslers I've seen broken have all been slightly different inside. But the describtion of the Prior sounds like the same lay-up. Although one of my athletes is riding one and it seems fine so far, a minor delame issue, but Prior fixed that. When I saw Jaseys board snap at the Jeep race it was the same as the Kesslers. A true snap, I've seen many boards break over the years, but these boards are snapping it's weird.

I see it as a trade off these boards ride hands down better than anything out there, but there is durability issues. Sounds familar to the Burners. You were lucky to get through half a season on those, but they rode great and it was worth it to many people. I hope the manufactures can figure it out because the boards are that good.

Oh yeah, it's not kevlar, amazingly enough a fabric that is bullet proof dosen't allow a board to flex well.

Is the titanal in the Volkl Renntigers stringers and not a full sheet? Have not had the urge to cut one up, but mine has been great for 2 full seasons of advanced intermediate type riding. I know from dealing with tires that any metal is the worst thing to try to bond to there is, and this delam issue may be starting on the inside?? Just throwing this out there.....

That lay up sounds identical to the Kesslers I've seen. The board is missing one critical component though. The first board builder to pay me enough money I'll tell you what will help prevent them from snapping.

Is there anyone already building titanal boards that [you believe] won't snap?

Titinal has been use with success for years in snowboarding and skiing. The older Kesslers seem to be extremely durable compared to the newer ones, but don't have the same ride quality. Most everyday riders won't put a board through the same paces as a high end racer, so I don't think the average consumer has anything to worry about.

Let me put it this way, virtually all race skis use titianl. World Cup skiers will sometimes use the same pair of speed skies for several seasons before retireing them. They find a pair with the fastest base and stay on them for years. If the ski industry can figure it out we should be able to sooner rather than later.

Forgive me for being ignorant - but are you a US team coach or something. Us Vermonsters don't get out much. ;)

I just bought a used once Prior WCR 175 titanal from a former Canadian team member and never knew they were snapping before I bought it - just thought I was getting the latest race technology for less than the $1000 it costs new. Now I'm a little worried I'll break it. Think its worth emailing Dean and asking if they've addressed this problem? I know the public isn't supposed to have these boards yet and I don't want to get the CA team member in trouble, but I would like to know more about this situatiuon before I go out and splinter an expensive ride. :(

I assume you got one of Amys boards. Don't take this the wrong way, but she rides her equipment way harder than you will. She's one of those girls who most guys don't want to duel in training. I wouldn't worry about it breaking on me. Like I said one of my guys Garrett has a Titinal Prior, it's solid. I wouldn't use it for screwing around though, like the burners they are race boards. Keep them in the enviroment they are designed for and you'll be fine. Prior dosen't recommend useing TD's one their new titinal boards, I think he also dosen't suggest using Cateks also but that I can't say for sure. When Garrett's board delamed, Prior blamed the binding he was using (TD2's with the suspension kit), personally I don't think it was the binding but I'm just passing along info. Since it's been fixed he hasn't had any problems at all. I think it's a great board. Keep it on the groomers and in a race course and you'll be fine.

I am not a U.S. Team coach, I coach a team based out of Park City, but I have coach the Junior National team in the passed and have been asked to do so again this year.

She's a big girl who rides hard...heck, a little 15 year old girl form Stratton just beat EVERYBODY (65 riders) in a long (58 seconds) and VERY icy GS there last week!

This board will definitely only be on the race course, so sounds good. I don't know about going back to my Burton Plates for racing. Sounds like my TD-1's might really stress it though. Maybe I'll stick to my Hot Blast GS and move the Prior. Us USASA Legends division guys can still pound on stuff a bit. ;-)

The bigger problem right now seems to have been my lack of knowledge on buying boards from Canada...

http://www.bomberonline.com/VBulletin/showthread.php?t=8853

Best of luck with your riders - coach on!

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

miura info:

shaper had to leave his workshop( was only renting it)

is looking for a new place to set home

is quite busy with his full time job ( as a rep/tech expert in a composite firm)

has pressed a few boards this season (rumor)

is hopefully going back on the ST market soon!

this picture is i guess last season's prod example, all got sold!

N.