Note to New Members ×

awesome watch for sports

FTA2R

Guest Randy S.

That looks interesting. They talk about skiing, but it is unclear whether how it tracks runs and speed. It seems targeted really at runners/cyclists. I've coveted the Suunto S6 for a couple of seasons now but never talked myself into buying one (which is surprising given what a gadget freak I am).

Someone buy one of these and post a review please.

check the demo out. i don't think it tracks runs, althoug hthey have watches that show more alpine type metrics (altitude, barometric pressure, etc). there was a pic of a snowboarder so and it specifically mentioned skiing, so it sounds applicable

Barry

It's not the Timex....but I've been using the Garmin 201 for the past 2 years and helped with the beta of the 301. Actually, I didn't do it for Garmin, but rather Motionbased (www.motionbased.com), who was just acquired by Garmin.

If you go to Motionbased site and look in the public activities, you'll note a few dozen snowboarding days.

For cycling and running...plain and simple, it kicks total ass. For snowboarding...not so much.

Why? Mostly because the GPS system works in about 10m increments, so your carves will look more like zig-zags than nice arcs. The same holds true for mountain biking (technical) with the Garmin.

You can consult with the guys on MB, but they have built in error correction for the elevation. It gets pretty darn accurate with the public information that is available.

Garmin acquired Motionbased because they finally figured out GPS receivers are simply "radios". The important part is merging this information with public information via the web (I.e. GoogleEarth, KeyHole, etc). Darn cool stuff!

K

I got one last year when I was in Canada. I think it cost me about $300 CAD at the time.

It tracks speed and distance through a GPS unit that you strap around your arm, or somewhere appropriate. I actually find it a bit chunky, so I have actually not used it all that much. But it seems to work pretty well. I don't know how it would go for snow sports though because there is a built in error of about 25 metres and I also think that it works on the basis of horizontal movement, not vertical.