Note to New Members ×

Board storage

John K

OK... I know this topic is usually part of the Spring Season, but I just built a new storage rack closer to my waxing bench and I want to get a sense if I am going to mess up my boards.

The question is.... if the boards are laid horizontal supported just near the tip and tail by 1/2 inch pvc, will the camber be effected over time? Should I rotate them once a month ? How about skis?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and observations...

JK

Speaking of board storage...

We accept that having gravity pulling the center of the board against its natural camber is bad. As Jim Callen says, we also accept that having gravity pulling the center of the board with its natural camber is good (or at least better).

Following this a little futher, would storing boards with a slight forced inverse flex be good? If not why? Or would it just be a very short term improvement followed by a sharp decline?

Just curious...

Camber is lost when you break the down the glue and the laminate fibers(glass, carbon, kevlar), that takes energy and force. not just the power of gravity. Your tip and tail were bent the same time the camber was forced. Not many people worry about gravity pulling there tip or tail straight. The only way your boards could break down in storage is if the temp. got very hot. :D

We accept that having gravity pulling the center of the board against its natural camber is bad. As Jim Callen says, we also accept that having gravity pulling the center of the board with its natural camber is good (or at least better).

we do?

I personally simply do not think it makes one bit of difference. y'all geek out just a bit too much:)

I like mine stored horizontally, base up so the edges arent touching anything, but thats about all that seems necessary, and even vertical would be fine. Id worry more about the base and edges

Gotta agree with Bordy... I've been storing my boards horizontally in wall racks for years, and I'm pretty sure they have noever lost any camber or otherwise been altered by storing them as such. Yeah, I store them topsheet-down, but only so that can wishfully look at the topsheets when the lifts aren't running. My wife thinks they make an awesome interior decoration too :D

Just from a logical point of view I would think that just one day of riding would affect the camber much, much more than a whole summer of storage the "wrong way". That being said I like to baby my stuff so when I get my board I'll take the extra precaution unless of course it starts to get really inconvienient to do so.

Someone here did an experiment a summer or two ago and found that it made no difference in the camber if the board was stored laying flat or not. I think it was Kent or PSR, I'll try to find the thread. UPDATE: It was C5 Golfer.

Guilty as charged. Makes no difference but if you believe it does be sure to store your automobile at night upside down too cuz the springs might bend and sag due to gravity. Powerful stuff that gravity force. I can certainly understand why some think it does affect our camber of our boards just look at an older guy's stomach or an older woman's boobs. They both sag - nothing like an old woman with no camber. :lol:

I put my boards base down in my bed that way you know there safe at all times. They prefer to sleep with there MR. bean doll too.

OK OK

I think you just need to put a few coats of wax and worrie more about when the snow is comming back :smashfrea :D