Note to New Members ×

South America

• Jack M changed the title to South America

Search results from Microsoft A.I. Copilot:  

Q:  alpine snowboarding chile and argentina

Copilot

Sent by Copilot:

Ah, alpine snowboarding—a thrilling way to carve down those majestic Andean slopes! 🏂❄️ Let’s dive into the snow-covered wonderlands of Chile and Argentina:

Chile’s Epic Start to the Season:

This year, South America is experiencing its snowiest start to the season in 30 years! Early-season snowfall has generously blanketed resorts in both Chile and Argentina.

To seize this opportunity, Chile is hosting several races during July, August, September, and October. The first race kicks off at El Colorado, featuring two FIS GS (giant slalom) events on the 25th and 26th of July. These races are part of the Ford Chile Winter Series Visa, a snow sports circuit that includes disciplines like Para Alpine, Cross Country, Ski, and Snowboard Cross.

Imagine racing down those slopes with the stunning Cordillera de los Andes as your backdrop—truly a unique experience! Last year, some of the best World Cup Teams raced here, and the conditions are world-class1.

When and Where to Ski in South America:

The ski season in Chile and Argentina typically runs from mid-June to mid-October. In some years, you can even enjoy ski touring or “skinning” as late as November.

For the best snow coverage, prime powder, fewer crowds, and affordable lodging, this sweet spot is your window to explore the Andes on skis or a snowboard2.

Must-Visit Resorts:

Las Leñas, Argentina: A mega ski destination known for extensive terrain and off-piste options. Advanced skiers and snowboarders will find their paradise here.

Cerro Catedral, Argentina: Located near Bariloche, Cerro Catedral offers diverse runs and a lively après-ski scene.

Chapelco Resort, Argentina: A smaller, off-the-radar gem with stunning vistas.

Cerro Bayo, Argentina: Boutique and charming, with breathtaking views of Lake Nahuel Huapi.

Pillan Ski Resort, Chile: Located near Pucón, this new resort promises exciting adventures.

Antillanca, Osorno, and Corralco, all in Chile: Explore these lesser-known spots for a more intimate ski experience3.

So, whether you’re a seasoned snowboarder seeking powder stashes or a newbie eager to learn, the Andes await! 🌨️🏔️ Ready to shred some fresh tracks? 🤙

Is there anything else you’d like to explore? More snowboarding tips, perhaps, or a different topic altogether? 😊

Another very useful thing to know is when is school summer holidays down there ? To avoid crowds, I hear they gets very busy during summer break. And I guess for ,, shorter as possible ,, time for travel/flight my guess it will be Chile - Santiago airport and near by resorts. Argentina’s resorts are way way to far from the airport or need to catch another flight 

Links good, LLM generated stuff... more wrong than right, usually.

I was there last year, may go again soonish if I can get a seat.

Santiago, easy to get too direct from the UK and has about 3 direct US flights each day. Please do not scream or hold the hand of the English guy sitting next to you when the plane hits the turbulence over the Andes. That happens every day, don't panic.

The CIA fact book paints the place as the wild west. It's not. You can walk around safely the same as anywhere else. I was prepared for bear country, this wasn't that. I wasn't panhandled, threatened, or even noticed. Like everywhere there are doubtless rough bits, but I didn't find them. I had no worries about getting my [somewhat fancy] cameras out and using them. That said I don't walk around anywhere looking like a victim. Most tourist places were mildly busy (so not scary quiet) with civilized people doing touristy things. It's fine.

The airport is a bit busy but the taxi system (fixed price, buy ticket inside secure area, get taken to cab, is easy). The hotels Ritz-Carlton & Mandarin Oriental are both decent smell and smoke free. You can get excellent coffee in some places. The big tower has a vertical shopping mall which is like American shops, if that's your thing. I wandered about and used the underground ("subway" for US folk) without hassle. You can pay for everything with contactless. For the underground, you need to find a machine in the station which will sell you a card, then load the card from your credit card. Trips are cheap.

The posh hotel concierges seemed to me to be used to gullible US tourists, so treat them with caution as they're definitely looking to make money.

You can drive from Santiago to the local resorts, not that I did it. You drive past the local ski shops. I think it's not really a daily commute, the roads get busy.

Last season was record low/ bad. This season is the opposite, I hear. I had a helicopter so not really an issue... snow good above 2,700m last season, this season will be way better lower I would think. 

This season started good and has continued that way, or so I'm told. I'm looking to the end of the season, and Patagonia runs later than Chile for that. That said I don't want to do internal air flights so Patagonia may not work unless I drive a long way.

I didn't visit any ski shops (they are not located downtown) although there was a Salomon shop in the big tower. Prices same as the US, I reckon, for fancy branded stuff. You will get lower prices anywhere else I'm sure; this was not a locals place. For hard boot gear, I would not risk being able to get spares here: bring two of everything.

I avoided Argentina because of the inflation rate there, although now I think about it, perhaps I should look again - helicopter companies charge in USD. I think there you need an internal flight to get to the helis, so that's a negative for me (I dislike BA, but they mostly don't crash...). 

• Like 2