Note to New Members ×

Snow in the Oregon Cascades!

Mike T

First snow of the season in the Oregon Cascades! I couldn't see Bachelor or Hood due to cloud cover, but did get a partial view of South Sister and Broken Top, and they were quite white. Let's hope things turn out better than last season.

Hopefully the fact that it snow the same day I bought my season pass bodes well :biggthump

Mt Hood got some love last night, too. Looks like down around the 6000' level. I took a hike a couple days ago to the top of the Palmer chair.

I'm afraid our sad little snowfield won't last a repeat of last season.

I'm sure they can always bank on some sort of a summer season, but

It won't be the year-round deal that they brag about unless mother nature really lays it down this winter.

This photo was taken from the mid-station.

post-1039-141842205026_thumb.jpg

:eek: That's the snowfield? Yowsa. Not the usual state of affairs in September. Did they manage to get a full summer of training in, or was it cut short?

August 18 was the last day, the season was cut short. Their usual last day of summer season is Labor Day; in high-snow years they re-open Fri-Sun two weeks after Labor Day and remain on that schedule until there is enough new snow to open 7 days a week.

I was able to see all the Oregon Cascade peaks while walking my dog this AM on Pilot Butte; looks like a thin covering of snow down to about 6000 all around. North Sister looks especially nice. I'm sure it will allmelt off over the next few days though.