Note to New Members ×

Aww man my riding's gone to crap! :[

No.2

Hello bomberites please help me with this. Every time I end up on my heal side I wipe out. This is on my wideish board runing 51deg. With my skinnier board where I use 57deg it doesn't happen. If I crank my back foot right down and stand my front foot up straight it helps the problem some what. And if I rotate my hips AWAY from the turn it helps too but. I dont want to carve like that. :mad: Does this 51deg stance mean I'm going to be stuck on the toilet seat?? (Please God say no!)

My skinny board is to short and soft for any serious fun but this Oxy SuperX is doing my head in. I just don't seem to be able to ride it the way I want to. :angryfire Style Gods Please help.

Well, I know you don't want to carve like that, but unless you're in hero snow you are going to have to or risk wiping out. Driving your back knee down is an essential pressuring method on both heel and toeside, and by not super-rotating your hips into the turn you are keeping your whole torso more relaxed. Now in regards to straightening your front leg, that really isn't a good idea. You lose a lot of mobility that way.

Ok, Thanks Jim. So I guess theres no way I'm ever going to look like kevin on this board. :( I can turn my stance back even further to about 45deg with out any overhang. Do you think I should learn how to work it with those angles? I see you are selling a 157 Oxy SX. Can you give me any tips as to what sort of style I should be aiming for with these wide boards I'm guessing its quite different from the 60deg club.

Ok, Thanks Jim. So I guess theres no way I'm ever going to look like kevin on this board. :( I can turn my stance back even further to about 45deg with out any overhang. Do you think I should learn how to work it with those angles? I see you are selling a 157 Oxy SX. Can you give me any tips as to what sort of style I should be aiming for with these wide boards I'm guessing its quite different from the 60deg club.

On the picture the stance angles are in the 60 deg range... And even the EC-people don't recommend going less than 55 on the front foot for their wide boards... So in the essence you're stuck on the toilet seat on any angles below 50-45 depending on how flexible you are...

even the EC-people don't recommend going less than 55 on the front foot for their wide boards

Wow so you mean I can run high 50s on a wide board! I was under the immpression that I would get less leaverage if I didn't rotate my toe and heal to the edge of the board?? So does that mean I can run 60s on this thing and carve it like my little burton!! That would be a dream come true. I guess it just comes down to the lateral flex of my boots? (Raichle 325s with the cant adj locked off). Tell me is this going in the right direction?

Honestly man, ride whatever angles you want to on that board. don't let its waist width determine your stance. I ride the same angles on every board I own, no matter the waist width. So experiment with that.

Thank you very much guys. I've had so many of the local 'Hard booters' here (instructors included) telling me to turn my stance back. Grrrr. I'm the only person on the mountain that is trying to ride East Coast Style... no one else gets it. They all ride fat twin tips and play pass the toilet duck. To be fair its probably not bad for our tight bumpy terain. But not the flow that I've admired in you guys all these years.

Thats a load off my mind I'm really looking forward to trying it out now. :lol:

Honestly man, ride whatever angles you want to on that board. don't let its waist width determine your stance. I ride the same angles on every board I own, no matter the waist width. So experiment with that.

I'm certainly no expert on stances, but I have done a lot of experimenting, some on my own and some due to suggestions from well-qualified intructors. I've found that am simply not comfortable hardbooting at angles lower than around 50/45, even on wider boards like my Donek Axis. 50/45 on that board leaves noticable "underhang" but I feel better and ride better with that underhang than I do my living the toes and hees of the boot up with the edge and lowering the angles to 40/35 ish. (I wear size 25 MP boots....)

I'm also no expert on the solid state mechanics that explain power transmission from boots to board, but I have trouble seeing how angles are terribly important relative to board with, when the connection is simply a round disc in the middle of the deck. The argumnet makes more sense to me for soft boots. Experts, please chie in and demonstate any errors in my thinking on that one ;)

So yeah: If you want to keep higher angles on a wider board, and it's working for you, then why not keep doing it?

I'm also no expert on the solid state mechanics that explain power transmission from boots to board, but I have trouble seeing how angles are terribly important relative to board with, when the connection is simply a round disc in the middle of the deck. The argumnet makes more sense to me for soft boots. Experts, please chie in and demonstate any errors in my thinking on that one ;)

It's all about moments, just moments. The lower stance angles are, more moment you can transmit to the board. On higher angles your setup must me a lot stiffer to have the same control over the board. Having TD-s or Cateks definitely helps, but we're still waisting a lot of energy flexing boots...

Last year when I was still progressing on a soft board (and soft boots), swithcing from 30/15 to 40/36 was like "wow! I can't feel the damn thing! How do i turn it?", took me a few runs to figure it out and there was no way back for me... in fact it only aggravated ever since... :eplus2:

Holy **** batman it works!!! Just got back from 2 hours of pure fun. Cross through, cross under, pops between edges, laydowns on both edges and all most a heal side circle. :)

Just set my stance to 61F 57R and went for it... I've got my board back again. Yeah! Sure it is slower edge to edge and you need more commitment to get it up over and on to an edge. But hey its the only decently slippery, sharp and semi stiff board I've got. I'm so wishing I had bought a nice slim freecarve board to learn on rather than a BX board. At least I would have been pointing in the right direction.

I may one day turn the stances back and learn to ride it through the park. For now I just want to learn to carve like you guys... allbeit over the net :( I'll have to come over and do a SES. Those coaching sessions with video sound just great. Maybe I'll post a vid of me one day if I get my self organised enough.

Thank you once again guys I'm much indebted.

PS. Coments from the liftys. "Wow I've never seen that before.. It looks buzzy!" & "Do they still call that Snowboarding?" :D

As you can see in my sig, I have a OSin 4807. But I have yet to ride it and probably won't until I get on some Mt.Hood powder in January.

So do you advise that I still stick with high angles on such a wide board (I'll be HBing it)? I'm currently running in the high 40s on my Nitro AM alpine.

Thanks,

DrCR

New Zealand Aleseyga. You guys should come for a mission down here. Where I ride in the North Island a bunch of carve heros would be like aliens in Texas. Boy that would be a hoot. I hear there are a few good carving spots in The South Island. But I've never been there... still quite new to this game.

If any one dosen't mind a modest crash pad you are more than welcome to stay. :) We caught up with Dan Yoda (the UPS guy) and his wife a while ago. So if you can handle the flight.... :)

Reaching for the nose of your board will cure that nasty heelside wash-out

Thanks Terror. I've just now been focusing on reaching for the edge of the board and flexing into my rear boot. And that seems to work but reaching for the nose may make both happen more naturally I'll give it a try. Cheers, you guys are just too good. :)

Re. Kevin. Every pic of him I've seen just looks pure style and flow. I'd love to see a vid of him in action... Anyone... Kevin?

DrCR:

So do you advise that I still stick with high angles on such a wide board

Well I'm no expert but from my reacent epiphany on this matter. I would say that if you want to ride East Cost Styles then go 55+. If you want to ride all mountain styles, a bit of park and do a bit of "trail grooming" here and there then go 30s to low 40s if the board permits. You'll have to bring the toilet paper. (No problem if thats what you want to do) and leave the 45 - low 50s for your old school Asym. Slalom.

I don't know about powder (Never ever seen any) ;)

No2, you don't need to worry about changing your stance for park, pipe, whatever. Just ride whatever's comfortable for you. I take my 181 WCR with 57, 54 stance into the pipe all the time. It's great in the bumps too. Don't let where you're going dictate what you ride. Just ride.

I take my 181 WCR with 57, 54 stance into the pipe all the time. It's great in the bumps too. Don't let where you're going dictate what you ride. Just ride.

ttiwwp.gif

Do you have any video or photos of yourself in the pipe? I've seen that photo of Greenwood (sp?) blasting out of the pipe. I did some basic straight airs and an alley-oops or two in the pipe with my Burton UP 162, but now that I have my slightly more expensive Madd 170 I'm afraid of digging the nose, or the tail on a spin and snapping the board. Maybe if I had a Prior 4WD...

Haha, never taken any pics of me in the pipe. I'm not saying I look good, but I do ride it. And it's not like I'm spinning the thing. Like you said, mostly straight airs and grabs. But hey, it's fun.

Haha, never taken any pics of me in the pipe. I'm not saying I look good, but I do ride it. And it's not like I'm spinning the thing. Like you said, mostly straight airs and grabs. But hey, it's fun.

Alas... it would be nice to have some more cool photos of hardbooters in the park (for those of us who still like riding in the park) ripping it up. Maybe I'll try some photos with my Proton 164GS (shorter, wider, and most importantly... cheaper than my Madd 170 :D )