Note to New Members ×

amazing site

ncermak

bhymfo.jpg

That is the most well-defined eye I have ever seen.

In mid August 1969 I was a young USAF Sergeant tracking weather satellites from MacDill AFB in Tampa when I spotted a small but intense mass in the Gulf of Mexico near the tip of the Yucatan Peninsula. I called the National Hurricane Center in Miami and was advised that they were keeping an eye on it. Unlike most storms that form in the Atlantic, this particular depression seemed to pop up out of nowhere. A few days later it made landfall as Camille, a Category 5 storm and one of the destructive this nation had ever experienced. I had driven through Biloxi and Gulfport a month before the storm and a year after. The evidence of destruction was mind boggling even after 12 months.

From 1973 to 1976 I was a meteorologist with WFLA-TV (NBC Channel 8) in Tampa and gave over fifty talks to schools and civic groups about hurricane safety. I always showed a 16mm movie titled "A Lady Called Camille". That film was sobering. The destruction we're seeing today seems to make even Camille pale in comparison. The final death tally appears likely to overtake that earlier tragedy.

Louisiana, Mississippi, and Alabama are faced with monumental tasks in restoring infrastructure and helping their citizens return to some form of normalcy. It's hard to imagine the difficulty they will be facing in the months to come.

bhymfo.jpg

That is the most well-defined eye I have ever seen.

In mid August 1969 I was a young USAF Sergeant tracking weather satellites from MacDill AFB in Tampa when I spotted a small but intense mass in the Gulf of Mexico near the tip of the Yucatan Peninsula. I called the National Hurricane Center in Miami and was advised that they were keeping an eye on it. Unlike most storms that form in the Atlantic, this particular depression seemed to pop up out of nowhere. A few days later it made landfall as Camille, a Category 5 storm and one of the destructive this nation had ever experienced. I had driven through Biloxi and Gulfport a month before the storm and a year after. The evidence of destruction was mind boggling even after 12 months.

From 1973 to 1976 I was a meteorologist with WFLA-TV (NBC Channel 8) in Tampa and gave over fifty talks to schools and civic groups about hurricane safety. I always showed a 16mm movie titled "A Lady Called Camille". That film was sobering. The destruction we're seeing today seems to make even Camille pale in comparison. The final death tally appears likely to overtake that earlier tragedy.

Louisiana, Mississippi, and Alabama are faced with monumental tasks in restoring infrastructure and helping their citizens return to some form of normalcy. It's hard to imagine the difficulty they will be facing in the months to come.

Yea, the eye is very clearly defined... Katrina did have one of the lowest pressures ever recorded in a hurricane, so I am sure that is part of the reason for the clearly defined eyewall... It's amazing that something so beautiful can be so destructive :(