Note to New Members ×

style & t-board for free

Guest stoked

Guest stoked

out of boredom I have started a thread about style in alpine snowboarding on a german forum

actually I suggested that there was no style in alpine snowboarding and of course you can challange that statement here too :)

what the thread has evolved to was me offering a brand new your choice version of a t-board for you for free

catch of course is that you have to do something for it but it should be fun

create a clip with a running time of anywhere between a couple of seconds to one minute that somehow promotes alpine snowboarding :)

everyone sending a clip like that gets a present - everyone whose clip I put online at stoked.at gets a t-shirt and yeah if more than 10 people send a clip like that the director of the best clip gets a t-board for free

doesn't matter if you use a 22 billion megapixel camera or you mobile phone to shoot the clip

doesn't matter if you're a beginner talking about your first carved turns or if your clip features footage of awesome riding simply anything goes

so everyone is invited to think about scripts for alpine snowboarding commercials and if you want to win a prize up to a t-board and not to mention fame and honour ... go shoot something!

Cheers and thanks,

Bernhard

http://stoked.at

( t-boards http://stoked.at/tierney_rides_boards.html )

Pretty cool... I don't really need a T-board, but I like the idea of encouraging some fun videos - I longboard a lot and silverfishlongboarding.com has tons of amateur skate videos that are fun and sometimes silly... my favorites are from www.whoisadamcolton.com which has a variety of fun clips.

Well I don't think it fits the mold since it isn't very stylish (unless your sense of style is a few decades out of date). But I always wanted to shoot a Top Gun themed carving video that re-enacts a few of the scenes with an snowboarding twist ... just a few of my silly ruminations.

The scene where Maverick inverts his plane and "greets" the enemy pilot:

I saw if a few years ago, but Jim Rippey managed to do a backflip *past* another snowboarder during a boardercross race... to the point that they heads were only a few feet away from each other.

Maverick's "crazy" airbrake manuever, a 360 carve than a lesser carve is unable to do... cross-cuts between him carving hard and a aerial/lift chair shot of the 360-carver and the rival carver washing out of his carve and sliding straight down the mountain.

Towards the end, where Iceman is being pursued by 6 enemy fighters, you could have a single green clad carver followed by a train of black clad carvers, all following in a long snaking line down the mountain. Both in motion follow-cam shots on the side and a stationary wide angle / fish eye as the "train" rushes on by with an accompanied set of "whoosh"es

Throw in a few silly off mountain antics. A couple of Lift Tower "buzzes" and I figure that would be a fun tongue-in-cheek homage... In general I don't envision it as a complete movie with scene for scene translation (i.e. there is no real plot with dialogue, with the hot shot carvers going to "top gun" racing school or anything like that). Just a few scenes with the theme... some remixed Top Gun music, outfits, and maybe some sound clips from the movie...

Anyways... this will be fun... I'll see what I can think of...

Hey Nils,

a t-board would not be enough of a prize for your clips

also while your clips promote alpine snowboarding in a way that was unheard of before what I want here are clips of sort of more like TV commercial like format :) I think you know what I mean

@ Lonerider

sounds great totally maybe you could do a series of Top Gun clips where each clip pays tribute to one scene from the movie :)

also the comment by Maverick comes to mind the one just before he does the airbrake move ...

so for example one could show a rider fed up with skidding go "I've had about enough of this sh!t" I think that could work even in not Top Gun related clips

as for the topic of style in general someone posted a fun clip link on the german forum to prove that 'we' do have style :)

just got permission for including it on the MULTIMEDIA page - so it's the last but least clip there at http://stoked.at/snowboard_freecarving_clips.html

everybody please keep going thinking shooting thanks

this is good footage also the second clip :)

any ideas about putting it in some context? voice over or some text insert for example?

for example there could be a simple text insert at the end of the second clip that says

alpine snowboarders go through whatever it takes

of course I came up with this idea for an insert just to illustrate the desired commercial like clip concept :)

so please use your footage to create a clip like that and of course doing so gets you a t-shirt (worst case scenario) or a t-board (best case scenario)!

I guess we can find some good way to select the 'best' clip and t-board winner like there could be a poll or something for that then

of course I hope for enough clips so that this makes sense

also you know who knows except that I know that I like to award contributors so maybe I can get some sponsors in for even more beyond t-shirt prizes

anyway though going huge with awards is going to require at least 10 people sending clip(s) otherwise only t-shirts for everyone

I guess I have the technology to add voiceovers to the clips. Maybe I'll play with it a little after Labor Day.

The collision in the second clip was worse than it looked. The girl was okay but the carver took a while to get back on his feet. :eek::eek:

The snow conditions that day were disappointing. Ron (I don't know his last name) in the first video was doing some amazing stuff including riding switch.

Hey Bernhard,

how are you my European friend? The shirt I won in the first contest has rec'd good wear, currently having trouble removing armpit stains from it.

Anyway, how long does this contest run through? I have some new toys and expect to have much better footage this season. And I definitly will not be including hardbooters doing jumps in their boxer briefs- that will only solidify more as weirdos =)

Barry

contest runs through this winter season so the winner(s) shall be richly awarded at the end of the season

which will also be the perfect timing for the t-board and in case I can raise other (big) prizes go to Australia or gaze at them in your garage throughout summer :)

so enough time for shooting this winter or again the clip could also be just a fun clip with someone talking about the stoke or whatever anything goes

- - -

as for the 'Air for Style' ('91 Words for Snow') trailer - full movie appears on DVD not in stores but with snowboard magazines this fall!

guess I'll risk a few bucks for the magazine then to see what kind of hardbooting ends up in the movie >>> http://www.91words.com

as for the German speaking world the DVD will be released with Pleasure magazine on november 11 >>> http://www.snowforce.com

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi Bernhard,

I've been playing around with some footage I shot last year trying to incorporate music and some slow motion. If anyone wants to watch it more than once, please save it to your hard drive to save my bandwidth.

It's amateurish but please remember it's my first attempt. Note: It's only 55 seconds long. It has audio, so you might want to mute your PCs at work.

http://www.mtlski.com/okemocarvesession.wmv

Pat

very nice clip and almost a commercial!

although I guess it would be cool as it is if it was a part of a series of commercials where each one has some different theme with this clip representing the 'Ouch' experience ...

'or two worlds collide' theme (the quote is from a Rocky song)

anyway I have put the clip online under 'Raw Footage' for now so you can take it offline if you get too much bandwidth

( http://stoked.at/snowboard_freecarving_clips.html )

Pat Moore #3 clip

Okay - I'll replace the text at the end. I need to credit Meat Loaf for his great song "Bat outa Hell" (appropriate!)

I hope to get to it this weekend.

This is truly a "self-taught" venture. I'm using a JVC miniDV recorder and editing the raw footage with Adobe Premier (great for the slow motion). Final product is tweaked with Windows Movie Maker.

I have other programs from Sonic, Ulead, and Roxio but this combination seems to work the best.

Now if we could just get more snow so I could shoot some more footage!

:lurk: