Note to New Members ×

Burton Speed

kamran

...it was collecting dust in the store and I had to offer it a home.

I've used that before...my wife didn't believe it...however recently I've been regripping my older ramp boards (try finding "adult" sized pool/ramp boards in Japan) in order to earn points for just such comments when I'm stateside again

It's not a 2003-I have the catalog-no alpine boards that year for Burton

In 2002 all Burton Alpine product was moved out of the main catalog and put into a separate catalog. That was the first year of the Speed, 03 was the second. However in 2003, the graphics were a light gray background with a red blood splatter, like this:

burton_speed.jpg

So maybe you've got some kind of limited edition or something. Actually it could be a prototype. Every Burton prototype I've ever seen says what year it is. I've never seen the year in the graphics of any production board. Too bad they didn't use those yellow graphics, I like them better than the bloodbath board, even if they sort of look like Volkl.

Thanks everybody!

I saw someone suggesting on another forum that it was a prototype (beta version he said) but I wasn't sure.

I agree the yellow topsheet looks a lot better than the production one and actually that kindda made me buy it.

It is indeed handwritten "2003 speed, 178" and I had no clue why.

The mystery is why the block graphic says 05 SPEED (when it was really made in 2002/3)

Maybe it was supposed to be released in 2005 and they thought let's release it now and close the doors on alpine production sooner rather than later :AR15firin ...who knows.

Thanks again for all the feedback!