Note to New Members ×

OT: Need guidance for a Kitesurfing purchase

outsider

I feel like such an addict. I am looking into buying a kiteboarding setup (i live a few blocks from lake michigan and am tired of wishing i had one whenever i bring my dog to the beach) and am curious about what size kite i should get. I am looking at a 11m kite, but feel that that may not be enough kite for a 150 lb person in winds that are generally moderate. Any thoughts?

Hey Randy, where did you learn to kitesurf? I'm heading to the coast this week (probably Pismo area) and wondering if there are any reputable teachers down there. But I'll head to other areas within reason for a good lesson.

I am looking at a 11m kite, but feel that that may not be enough kite for a 150 lb person in winds that are generally moderate. Any thoughts?

IMHO you sould go for a 12m to 14m low to medium acpect kite,with good safety system.As lower is the acpect the kite is slower more stable and easier to relaunch it when you dropped it into the water.

I'm not a fan of the 5th line setup but for a beginer is something that can help relaunching and depower the kite more easy, giving the kite more wind range than the normal 4 line set up but you have to adjust it correct to have the results that I mention above.

Don't avoid lessons by an authorized (I.K.O.) instructor.

Hope that helps.

Aris

outsider, first step is to learn on a 1 or 2 meter trainer kite.Once you've wired it in strong steady wind like 20-25 mph, you'll be ready to fly a 10 meter.Going with a fatter/lower aspect is better since they're slower and more stable.That means more forgiving when you make a mistake.There's plenty of cheap beater kites on ikitesurf.com classifieds.You'll be flying a 10 when the experienced guys are on 14's and 15's but the idea is that you don't want too much juice at first.Just get in the water and body drag downwind without a board until you're comfortable diving the kite and swinging it hard enuf to get ripped through the water. btw, you'll need a harness to hook into or you'll be exhausted in 10 minutes.Get a bigger board say 150 cm or bigger to learn on. At 150 pounds it'll be easier to get up and stay up.Heavier guys sink the board and make it harder to stay planing.Good idea to take a few lessons for safety reasons.Get an instructional video and watch it at least 5 times.They'll be a point where you may need to bail out and throw the bar and it's critical to know what to do FASt before you get launched and potentially busted up. Seriously, it happened to my buddy pete who was learning,getting frustrated and pulled a cowboy move that almost put him in the parking lot.kinda scary, but it does instill a respect for how much power the kites have just like a gun or a raceboard going 40 mph and you need to slow down fast before you go flipping thru the woods at speed.Sounds like you have the right idea tho " If you aren't scared and things aren't going worng, then you simply aren't going fast enough." good luck ! I think you meant WRONG not worng :lol:

Guest Randy S.

RJ, I learned in Foster City. It was a few years ago now. If I were you, I'd just look for a good instructor. Have you played around with a trainer kite to learn the basics? You should.

i have been flying a trainer kite for about a month whenever the winds are fast enough, and sometimes even when they aren't, and i have that dialed in prety well. i am aware of the potential for the excessive boost, which is why i am looking for a kite around 11-12m.

@willywhit,

In one af your latest photo I noticed an aggression board is it yours?

I had a chance of riding one 122x36 flexi. Dimitri brought six of them here in Greece.It was one of the best board ever tryed very smooth with a great pop.

If it's yours congratulations the best choice the board rocks...!!

• 1 month later...