Note to New Members ×

Thirst 22CC+FAF165 WARP RFF

I've wanted a Thirst board for a couple of years, but finally snagged one late this season.

I'm mostly an intermediate carver who prefers soft boots, I just can't handle hard boots all day! Over the years, I've owned a bunch of soft-boot boards, from the Oxess to Asian brand like Gray and ENO. If you're also into soft boot carving and considering a Thirst, hopefully this review can help you out!

First Impressions & Test Conditions

I got the board earlier this month and tested it at Brighton in typical spring conditions. Sadly, my alarm betrayed me, so I hit the slopes after 12pm with softer snow than expected. It wasn't super smooth, but still a good test of the board's handling.

My Thirst is a 22CC+FAF165 WARP RFF custom made for me with a 25.6cm waist, 358 flex index, and the Halftone fade topsheet. Honestly, it's the most beautiful board I've ever owned, and the build quality is exceptional – better than Frank's Virus (sorry Frank, still love your boards!).

For this test, I paired it with my Ride Trident boots (with Deeluxe ankle hardness) and bindings – Flux CV in the front and SP Mountain in the back. Mark did set the edges to 88 degrees on the side and 1 degree base, I am used to a 87 side and 0.5 degree base. 

The Ride:

My first run down Snake Creek was a revelation! This board effortlessly reached the apex of each turn. Unlike a titanal Oxess, which demands effort to exit the turn, the Thirst almost magically guides you out. It's incredibly nimble, reacting instantly to the slightest input, and the edge hold is unreal.

People rave about Thirst's smoothness, and now I get it. This isn't the sluggish feel of some overly damped titanal boards. It's stable, yet with just the right amount of feedback. I felt some chatter on uneven snow, but never lost control. This board feels alive! I know that sounds abstract, but if you've ever tried a Thirst, you know exactly what I mean. In short, this board offers effortless riding, complete control, and instant response.

The closest board I've ridden to the Thirst is the Virus X Carve Zylon 2 which is another favorite of mine. Both are fast and nimble, but the Thirst is surprisingly more forgiving. If your technique isn't perfect, the Thirst still has your back and won't spring you out of the turn.

If you're a softboot carver looking for a playful, responsive board, the Thirst CC+ could be your dream ride.

20240414_162221.jpg

20240410_111851.jpg

Edited by Pigbrogg
  • Like 3

great review and sounds great. unfortunately, wider (28cm+ waist) softy builds do not seem to be in the thirst wheelhouse. for a 25.6 waist, a US size 8/9 is just about right on the money. 9 with riser plate even better. 9.5 w/ plate could work with a certain technique and very few limits. too narrow for size 10 imo, even with plate unless maybe both angles are 30+.

what size boot, angles you running with this hog @Pigbrogg? are your slopes always that busy? geesh.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, dhamann said:

great review and sounds great. unfortunately, wider (28cm+ waist) softy builds do not seem to be in the thirst wheelhouse. for a 25.6 waist, a US size 8/9 is just about right on the money. 9 with riser plate even better. 9.5 w/ plate could work with a certain technique and very few limits. too narrow for size 10 imo, even with plate unless maybe both angles are 30+.

what size boot, angles you running with this hog @Pigbrogg? are your slopes always that busy? geesh.

I personally prefer narrower boards as they feel more agile and responsive to me. My preference is to use boards with a maximum width of 26.2, as anything wider feels cumbersome and less maneuverable for my riding style. 

I wear size 9 boots, with a 45 degree in the front and a 39 degree in the back. 

Here are my thoughts on stance angles. If you are looking for a board that is nimble, responsive, and feels like an alpine board, you should use a narrower board. It is simply not possible to achieve that on a wide board. It is a trade-off, you cannot get the best of both worlds. Narrow boards offer performance and liveliness, but less comfort, while wider boards allow you to run a lower angle for more comfort, but are less maneuverable and less responsive.

Over the years, I have tested many softboot plates. Most of these plates are excellent and provide increased clearance. However, they have not yet reached a point where I can say that I genuinely enjoy using them.

It is important to note that regardless of the cost or material used, whether it be an expensive Apex plate or inexpensive plastic risers, they both have the potential to alter the intended flex of the board. This deviation from the original design is simply not desirable. I am aware that RM is currently developing a softboots board with custom softboots Iron rock plate. I have not yet had the opportunity to try one, but if it truly delivers the Allflex performance, it could be a game changer for softbooters.

The resorts in Utah and Colorado are always packed, and it's not uncommon for there to be accidents. Especially at Brighton and Copper, kids are just flying down the slopes like crazy. 

Edited by Pigbrogg
  • Like 1