Note to New Members ×

Review of the UPZ AT8

patmoore

Good morning from the US Virgin Islands where we're vacationing now that racing is over for the year. I wrapped up my season at the NASTAR Nationals at Snowmass a little more than a week ago. I’m happy to report it was a good trip.   I raced in the Platinum Division on both skis and board. Because of the warm temperatures they had to salt the course. I got in three runs on skis taking third in my age group with the best run of 24.94. On the snowboard (170 cm Kessler, Donek plate, F2 Titanium Race Bindings) I ran the course in 26.54 which was a platinum level run. Since I’ve outlived most of my competition on the board, I picked up my 17th age group national championship.  I was very happy with that performance on the board and I attribute it it to my new UPZ AT8 boots. Last month, Chris Brooks contacted me and asked if I was interested in switching to UPZ. I had been wearing a pair of 18 year-old Head Stratos Pros. Screws were falling out of the bottoms holding on the toe lugs and the boots were well past retirement age. Chris had suggested that I go to a ski shop to measure exact Mondo size of my feet. My Lange RS 130 ski race boots are a 28.5 but I was surprised when I measured my feet that I was actually a 27.5.  My new boots arrived and I was immediately impressed with what a solid fit they were.  A lot of thought went into the design and, in my opinion, UPZ produced a winner.  Unlike my Heads, my heel stayed firmly in position. The forward flex was stiffer than I was used to so I replaced the lower springs and that was a help. They were still a little stiff in the forward flex so I didn’t tighten the upper buckles much at the nationals. I suspect switching to a softer tongue will bring about the desired flex. I’m very very happy with the boots and at age 77 they’ll likely be the last pair I own. I’m really looking forward to next season getting back in the race course with these great boots.

Edited by patmoore
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, patmoore said:

I suspect switching to a softer tongue will bring about the desired flex.

I have a pair of  lightly used anthracite soft tongues from my XC12's that are the size you need if you want to try. Send me a PM if your interested