Note to New Members ×

Starting tykes on skis: leash or no leash?

Jack M

Starting tykes on skis: leash or no leash?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Starting tykes on skis: leash or no leash?

• Yes, leash
    • No leash

Every once in a great while, there is a kid who can SB at that age. If you try to teach your kid to SB - DO NOT have any expectations as most likely 99% of kids could not do it.

BTW. - I would not recommend it personally. Skiing is a better way to start that 99% of the time.

I decided to start both kids on skis-why? because I felt that the step of learning how to slide forward on 2 wooden planks and learning how to slide off a lift facefirst was less intimidating than doing both sideways. My daughter informed me prior to our big ski trip last year that she wants to stay on skis. My son, who, BTW, skiied halfway down the bunny hill backwards accidentally and wiped out but still got up laughing his second day of lessons, informed me he's done with the 2 planks and is ready to step up to the proverbial plate. The little resort that I get the kids lessons at doesn't teach riding to kids until they're 7. The good news is the classes are small-Tim's ski class last year had 2 other kids in it and the same instructors as the last 2 years.

Katie, the skiier, is quite the bomber...I hope to have a chance to ski with her in my snowblades and show her how cool it is to lay down a sine-wave carve-or I fear she will take a few people out next season....

Don't worry, I'll warn everyone :rolleyes:

met my wife at a ski resort. I had skied since 5yrs old she since 3yrs. inevitable that our kids were on snow early. had them on our backs when they were 1 (they did fall asleep too) then with homemade harness when 2. The leash from the center of their back is not a good idea(no steering). Harness with left and right lines is much better. no need to use as brake if you steer your infant and control their speed thusly. it gives them the early sense that with steerage comes speed control. when allowed to ski solo that same season they were told if they didn't turn or went too fast they would be back in the harness. had to put them back in the harness a few times when they would see what they could get away with but both were solo at 2yrs old. I actually started snowboarding because they were at it ahead of me and rubbing it in that they could do something I couldn't.

now they are 18 and 20, and both expert sliders on skis and board.

homemade harness was simply two pieces of hockey stick cut to child's shoulder width with holes in each of the ends. and two pieces of highly visible orange or yellow nylon cord tied to the ends. child takes one stick and holds onto in front at hip level, mom or dad holds second stick 8 or 10 feet back and steers with gentle left or right pull. when getting on the lift to go back up just take both sticks and wrap cords around them and stuff into open jacket.