Note to New Members ×

Powder/Splitboards

Guest Andrew S

Guest Andrew S

Do any of you guys have some suggestions about a good split board that excells in powder? I'm really trying to prevent myself from completely turning to tele's when theres fresh snow, so any input would be greatly appreciated.

Andrew

I had one many many many years ago made from a Lib Tech Doughboy...6 feet 4 inches of pure powder pleasure

I saw a new Prior split in a shop in breckenridge a few months back - it looked pretty sweet, but I think it was like 165cm which I think is way too short for powder...

You've got a few choices. Prior, Voile, Never Summer, Burton, possibly Winterstick.

Where are you riding? I've been on the Priors and Voiles and feel that there is a bit of a home field advantage. The Priors are stiffer and excel on heavier coastal snow while the Voile is pretty soft and does well on the dry Utah/Colorado fluff.

If you are riding plates/hardshells, the Voiles are a bit narrower, though I believe that Prior has built a few custom splits in the 21>24cm range to be more hardboot friendly.

Also, you'll get lots of answers at the www.couloirmag.com forum and at www.splitboard.net/talk

Guest Zach Davis

The Prior 172 Swallowtail Splitboard.

It's, bar-none, the best all-around powder/soft-snow conditions splitboard on the market. My only complaint is that it is a little wide for my stance... Fortunately, Prior can make custom shapes, so i'll probably get it in a 24.5cm waist.

Zach