Note to New Members ×

Painful soft boots-help required

I recently got a pair of size 10 (EU) driver x boots for soft carving, but unfortunately when I lean forward, the heel of my rear foot lifts up, rubbing against the back of the boot. But the worst part is when I lean backward: the calf presses against the spoiler and the foot is pushed forward, to the point where the big toe hits against the front of the boot and after a while, it hurts a lot. To solve the problem of the lifting heel, I thought about using J-bars, what do you think? Could it work? Are there better solutions? As for the toe problem, I have no idea how to solve it, any advice is welcome. Thank you very much

This might work for heel lift:

https://www.bestboards.gr/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=130

Deeluxe used to sell those directly but it looks like they have closed their direct shop. There's also new Pro version but I can't find it from any European retailers. Donek sells it: https://www.donek.com/product/deeluxe-heel-harness-pro/

I would just e-mail Deeluxe and ask where to buy that. I have two normal versions myself.

Calf bite sounds like it might be a technique problem. Try to lift your toes instead of pushing against the highback. Also the heel lift might be partly a technique issue. Try to stand on your toes instead of leaning towards the tongue of the boot.

J-bars can also work depending on your ankle shape but personally I haven't had much help from those. That heel harness has worked much better for me.

@Samurai le Blanc

Your boots are too big.  J bars can help but you will probably need a smaller size.  A better liner will improve the fit too, but if the shell is not your size that solution will have limited results.  Heel sleeves can also help.  

Go to a better shop and ask for a performance fit Driver X.  Have them measure your mondo point foot size and fit the shell without the liner.  You should have less than 1/2" between your heel and the back of the shell with your toes touching the front.  If you can fit more than one finger behind your heel in the shell, you will need a smaller shell.

I ride the smallest size I can without pain.  I experience no heel lift, no feet sliding around, and less boot out potential.  I use one J bar in each boot and I shave it down for comfort.

Sometimes there's a tradeoff between performance and comfort.  To me, it's worth it.

• Like 3

Definitely make sure you are in the right size, and then add Intuition liners and upgraded or custom footbeds.  Have the liners molded with the footbeds inside, and toe caps to create wiggle room and warmth for your toes.  You can have this done at a competent shop or you can DIY.  If the shop wants to only heat the inside of the liner, or does not do toe caps, they are not competent.

• Like 1

agreed with crackaddict. 

typical symptoms of boots that are too big.  If there's enough room your heel is lifting on toe side and then on heelside your foot slides forward and your toes hit the front of the boot, they're probably too big unfortunately. 

so check your boot shell size first.  you might be able to make them work with high volume liners (to take up the extra room) but better to be in a tighter fitting boot from the get go.  

your toes effectively should be touching the front of the liner, but all the time, in a static state where foot is held securely by boot/liner, not sliding foward and getting jammed against the front on heelside turns.  

Edited by slabber