Note to New Members ×

Boot Sizing Question

I might have interest in a listing on here but I have an equipment related question I want to ask the whole forum.

I have these Garmont AT boots.  The shell says "FREE RIDE 25-26.5 SX" under the plastic tongue but the sole says MM 297.  The liner is to worn to read but the listing at the time I got them said Mondo 26.5 / US 8.5

These boots listed are the same size as mine but they have a smaller footprint right?

https://forums.alpinesnowboarder.com/topic/57068-2017-upz-rc10-mp265/

I wear a size 10 - 10.5 sneaker and my feet have bunions.  the Garmonts feel tight and i've done minimal dremel work to inside the shell to make them bend at the cuff a tiny bit better and give my bunion a little more room -- pretty much unsuccessful but i've been hesitant to play around too much with my only pair of boots.  My foot length is 10.25 in, or 260 mm.

Do yall think I should size up if I upgrade to proper snowboard hardboots?  I'm especially wondering about this listing because I thought I read UPZ shells have an odd shape that tend to make them seem like they run small.

I carve on a Burton Alp with forward stance and I think any new boards I ever get will always be pretty carve-oriented.  I did ride deep-ish powder for the first time this season and I thought about renting softboots, but by the afternoon I was glad to be on my board.  I think better boots would provide enough help in different kinds of snow.

I'd really appreciate any thoughts yall have for me.  Im not really looking for new gear but I know it would really help my riding.. so Im wondering if I stumbled upon a set of nice boots that happen to be my size.

Sole length on ski boots is important for ski bindings, but not so important on snowboard boots, so you don’t have to worry too much.

Yes, UPZ boots have smaller footprints, which means you may be able to squeeze a few more degrees on bindings.

The one on the link should be ok, I’d recommend to go for the right size like boots for 260mm or 265mm. I have 255mm foot and use 255mm UPZ and 255mm Dynafit touring boots.

Hope this helps, but there are others with much more experience than I who may be able to help you better.

This table is the one I've found to run true to size for UPZ boots. I'm the seller of those boots listed in the classifieds, and the 287mm shell size was what was sold to me by the UPZ distributor. Still have the original box as well, shows 26,26.5 as the boot size, and the original UPZ 6.5 liner made it fit as 26.5.

17045088337682023146884272258020.png

17064928150995443075514337108161.jpg

The 297 mm refer to the length of the DIN sole. By definition this has to extend beyond the toes and heel to work properly, otherwise the leverage would be all wrong for ski bindings. Dedicated hardboots can have a shorter footprint, as the bindings are non-releasing.

I wouldn't want to upsize if you have the proper liner for your foot length. Better get the appropriate liner (26 or 26.5 at most) and see a bootfitter.

Hey thanks a lot all for the tips.  I went ahead and got the boots.  I realize I didn't need to make a whole new thread for this since Ive already read reams of info on this site about boot sizes, and the seller @jburk has been very helpful answering my PMs.  Will definitely post back again once I ride these!