Note to New Members ×

OT: Thoughts on this bike?

mirror70

Looking for a road bike that I can use to commute ~9mi on every morning. I've come across a circa 1993 Trek 1400 with Shimano 105 components. Tires are Vittorias. It would need a new stem and seat post. Selling price is ~$200.

Assuming it fits, I was thinking of picking it up this weekend. Any thoughts on the bike?

I'm not sure I would pay $200 for it unless it is in excellent condition. I have been trying to sell my old racing bike for years and it is in excellent condition with Dura Ace STI and I can't even get $300 for it. I built it in '91. That is why I think $200 for a bike as old as mine and not even as good is too much. My $.02.

What speed is the 105?

Does it have STi shifting? (I would know from above answer)

Either way, the 1400 is a very decent bike for commuting. A popular winter bike as well.

Although, for commuting, you may want to swap out the bars for bullhorns or straights....although you would have to go with bar end shifters for straights.

Can't go wrong for $200..unless you're doing this deal!!!

2 for 1 on Rollos! I already bought 4 of them to give to friends....

http://penncycle.com/site/itemdetails.cfm?ID=5665

Heck, buy (2) of these...put track gears on one and then hotrod the other to 44-15/14!!!

1993 is right around the time when road bikes were going from 7 > 8 speeds. That required a widening of the rear end of the frame to make room for the extra gear.

Steel frames that were built for 7 speeds (126mm between the dropouts) can be bent/widened to 8/9/10 speed specs (130mm between the droupouts).

Carbon and Aluminium frames *should not be bent/widened in this way*. I think the 1400 was an aluminium frame, so if you want more than 7 gears, you should find something else.

See this article for more detail than you probably want.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/frame-spacing.html