Note to New Members ×

Help required

I would like to buy a Kessler X Carve, but I'm not sure about the length. Until now, I've been using a Jones 9000 for carving, but I want to push myself a bit further. Since I keep a board until it can't handle it anymore, I'm looking for something that allows me to grow technically. I am 180cm tall, weigh 66kg, and wear size 43 boots. I am very athletic and have been snowboarding for about 20 years. I'm torn between the X Carver 159 and the 164. I have always used, and want to continue using, soft boots. Regarding the slopes, I ride in a place where the snow is often very hard; perhaps a few extra centimeters of edge could be useful. Thank you, I look forward to your advice

I will repeated my oft-stated personal opinion that the X-carve is too narrow unless you wish to use very high stance angles. For a waist width of 26cm and a large sidecut, I suspect you’ll likely be looking at rear foot in the mid-20s in order to avoid bootout.

If you’re OK with running those high angles for a dedicated carving board, then you’re good to go. 

If you want to make low carves at stance angles closer to normal all-mountain angles (ie 21 degrees or less or duck), then that board is too narrow. 

18 hours ago, ShortcutToMoncton said:

I will repeated my oft-stated personal opinion that the X-carve is too narrow unless you wish to use very high stance angles. For a waist width of 26cm and a large sidecut, I suspect you’ll likely be looking at rear foot in the mid-20s in order to avoid bootout.

If you’re OK with running those high angles for a dedicated carving board, then you’re good to go. 

If you want to make low carves at stance angles closer to normal all-mountain angles (ie 21 degrees or less or duck), then that board is too narrow. 

What about plates to rise the binding heights?

I am using Gecko Stealths with 10mm bumpers on a 26cm waist board.  36/15 angles, US size 10.5 Burton Ions.  I can carve it with decent satisfaction on easy slopes, but I still cannot lay it over without booting out.  I'm ok with that because softboot carving isn't really my goal.

16 hours ago, Jack M said:

I am using Gecko Stealths with 10mm bumpers on a 26cm waist board.  36/15 angles, US size 10.5 Burton Ions.  I can carve it with decent satisfaction on easy slopes, but I still cannot lay it over without booting out.  I'm ok with that because softboot carving isn't really my goal.

Thanks, I'll give it a try. I wear size 9.5 US boots, so it should work slightly better for me. Here in the Alps, we have very steep slopes and very hard/icy snow, so it will be a challenge. But, as the saying goes, calm seas do not make skilled sailors.

• Like 1

Yeah, risers get you some extra buffer. Depending on your riser height, for me it bought a bit less than 6-degrees of stance angle give or take. I tested it on my front lawn one summer.

The real question here is whether you want a dedicated carving board for on-piste carving at high stance angles. As Jack noted, for that board you’ll be able to carve aggressively at minimum angles around what he suggested, possibly a bit higher depending on your snow conditions and how aggressive a carver you are. If that’s what you’re looking for I feel the Kessler name is top shelf. 

I think those angles are pretty high for regular riding and do not put you in a naturally stable all-mountain riding position. I feel you’re pretty much locking yourself in to on-piste carving at 18/36. That’s kind of what the board is for, so maybe you’re fine with that and have other boards if you want to do anything else. 

For me, demoing a 27cm waist board a while back was a revelation. Then I got a 283mm waist Coiler last year and I don’t even boot out at 18/-6 which I was trying out last week. It’s extremely versatile. 

I will say for downsides, I feel the wider boards seem to require more leverage and therefore lower-leg strength. I really feel it in my calves especially at the beginning of the year. And they get dinged more on the edges if your resort makes you squeeze through those annoying metal gates in the lift line. 😀

• Like 1

there's a lot of variables to consider (roughly 100 'what if' scenarios to ball park it; presents a rather difficult discussion; very subjective) and then there's rider preference. based on foot variables...

43 eur size boot, size 10 US, 27cm/mondo (i think this is correct: boot sizes typically vary by 8mm, so 4mm in half sizes). then there's sizing down in boot and using a low volume liner to accommodate a more responsive/'race'/performance fit. another side variable.

159 x-carve, 255 waist; 164, 260

a basic plate (or similar) with 10mm stack is pretty much mandatory if you want to step up your game from the free carver. just understand that these variables will be limiting on the 159 x-carve for you; 164 better, but keep looking (27 min.; 26 w/ plate, but compromise may play a factor). sorry to say. the rest of the specs of the board seem ideal, but it's just too narrow based on your goals. i think you already have an ideal board (27+ waist) and to get what you want, you may need to go custom. oes fr, sg soul xt are a couple other stock options, but they're not kessler titanal construction. have you the identified factors of the free carve that you would be looking to improve with another board? flex and/or side cut? the brand? have you ridden any kessler before? brands tend to have a 'feel' to their boards, regardless of shape/etc.. all of them ride as the design is intended for. if i'm not mistaken, the alps have a lot of varying terrain and a lot of hike to, ride to type of terrain unless you're looking to just stick to the groomed (more or less) with this board.

Edited by dhamann

1 hour ago, ShortcutToMoncton said:

I feel you’re pretty much locking yourself in to on-piste carving at 18/36.

Nah, depends on what you're used to.  Choice of binding angles on my first board were limited to about 45/0, lol.  Somehow, I went off-piste.  On my current freeride board I was using 30/15 but my front knee was hurting, so I went to 36/15.  Ahhh, much better.  My body is too twisted from decades of alpine.

1 hour ago, ShortcutToMoncton said:

That’s kind of what the board is for

That is 100% what the X-Carve is for.

@Samurai le Blanc, check out the PowerRide tongues for a nice boot upgrade for carving.

36/15 is the new black for me as well. real nice.

thanks @Jack M but this cat is in Italy. gonna have to pump the brakes here. exceptions may be made on a case by case basis, but the focus/territory is North America which i think is enough for now.

• Like 1