Note to New Members ×

Thirst PC 181.5 WARP Powder Carver

Here are the specs:  181.5 cm, ~20.6 cm waist, right foot forward WARP shape with flex index of .277.  Side cut is something in the range of 11-12 m (WARP shape).  Ridden with hard boots, both at 60 degrees.

Riding style:  I'm relearning and building back.  I preferentially ride neutral on boards.  

Conditions: First test ride was at Park City with both smooth and irregular surface chopped up packed powder, a few choice areas of screeching hard pack, some areas of near-slush and maybe 40 degrees F, with clear skies.  

My impressions:  I'll attempt to describe something that is difficult to comprehend without riding one.  The only way I can explain this is it rides exactly how one wants it to ride for that particular moment or situation and does it exceptionally smooth.  The smoothness is what floored me.  It requires little effort to make it transition from turn to turn and it will hold the turn for as long or as short as you want.  It's light for it's length but feels lively and not like a noodle.  The sound it makes on hard pack is addictive.  Yes, it freaks some skiers out but I love that noise. 

Ride it neutral and it's amazing.  To elaborate, if I wanted to carve into some really packed snow (for Utah), it sliced right through it and didn't slip or chatter.  It's literally not a concern at all.  If I rode across chopped up groom, it just cruised right through, smoothly.  It's a holdover from riding free style boards but I like to throw out a fat heel side slashing slush wave if I have an opportunity; it had no problem doing that.  If skiers started to crowd in, it could be thrown around very quickly, defying it's 181+cm length.  These boards ride smoothly like a long board but lithe and lively like a small board for turnability.  

To summarize, I couldn't tell it's a swallow tail when I transitioned from edge to edge, regardless of snow surface I rode across.  It felt like the board was much longer (in a good, stable way) behind the heel than it is when carving, but it can instantly be made to turn much tighter on command.  The nose looks a little longer from the center of the front binding to the tip versus the 8rw but it doesn't feel like it.  The PC is just absolutely smooth, light, balanced and easy to ride.  A common theme I heard repeated but could not comprehend is something I've personally now experienced with Thirsts; they turn like they are shorter and have redefined my ideas about board length.  I am jealous of those who have ridden this board in deep powder.  If you are ever out Park City way, hit me up if you are RFF.                    

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

I will be in the general region next week.  I’ll PM you.  I have a 8rw and a 181 PC you can try.  If next week doesn’t work, maybe one of your trips to UT we can go night boarding at Brighton after your work day.  Lots of runs open at night and it’s convenient.