Note to New Members ×

jobs in snowboard industry

snowboardfast

So Dave-

You've developed a scaled rating system to determine the hair accumulation on the inter-thigh of male snowboarders. I heard you where massaging his inter-thighs with Avocor--Phils right about sasquatch [sasquatch]

n : large hairy humanoid creature said to live in wilderness areas of Park City, Utah Or sometimes found in Heber City [syn: Bigfoot, Sasquatch]

Depends on what you want to do. If you want a resort job check their sites. Most are starting to get into hiring for next season. As far as repping goes, find a co you want to rep for and contact them. Most require extensive sales background and that you have a somewhat pre-established sales network. Easiest way to work your way into a rep position is to start out working at a shop and work your way up through meeting people and getting connections. Good luck with the search. I prefer on-snow jobs. I have more fun riding than talking about it:)

Originally posted by ak_rider

Depends on what you want to do. If you want a resort job check their sites. Most are starting to get into hiring for next season. As far as repping goes, find a co you want to rep for and contact them. Most require extensive sales background and that you have a somewhat pre-established sales network. Easiest way to work your way into a rep position is to start out working at a shop and work your way up through meeting people and getting connections. Good luck with the search. I prefer on-snow jobs. I have more fun riding than talking about it:)

What AK rider said

Retail is a great place to start

Originally posted by tex1230

There's always jobs posted on their website - everything from Janitor to senior accountant...They don't pay too well, but how much does it cost to live in Brrlington anyway?

More than you think.

Moved here from NYC in '01, and I'm finding that the cost of living here in Chittenden County (where Burlington and Burton are) is similar to most of Westchester County back home. Housing is especially tough to come by. But hey, Burton employees get season passes (Stowe, no less), and all the baggy pants you can wear :D

FWIW -

You are best off in a career search to go after a horizontal than a vertical.

I.e. Working in the "snowboard industry" is a nice passion, but would you rather make $8 mopping the floors at Burton or $25/hour working for ABM?

If you're an engineer....great. You can make snowboards or 747s.

No use trying to be a snowboard sales rep unless you truly enjoy selling products, driving 100k miles per year and putting up with all the dealer crap.

Point being..success replicates itself. If you don't own your company, you're best off building your quiver of skills.

Once you find your ideal position, there is certainly value in specializing in an industry. If that's the case...visit SIA or pick up TransWorld Business and hunt for jobs.

http://www.twsbiz.com/

Good luck.

Guest Zach Davis

It depends mainly on your experience level... and, of course, good timing/luck.

If you're young, just out of college, etc... I would go along with the guys that reccomended starting in retail or at a resort. The "industry" is very nepotistic and definitely likes to promote from within.

If you have a good amount of experience in a specific career (IE sales), persistence is the answer. I spent 2 years calling on manufacturers, coming up with wild ideas for starting my own business, etc.. Then, one day out of the blue, i saw on Couloir's website that they were looking for an ad sales manager.

There are a certain amount of people out there that understand the value of hiring successful folks from outside the industry.. especially guys like me who are hungry to re-invent their career.

Zaxh

Unless you have some speciality skill such as an accountant, craftsmen, etc... the best place to start is in retail (like someone already said). I worked retail for a long time and got to know various reps and eventually got a job as a rep myself. My advise is if that is the route you want to go imerse(sp) yourself in the sport. Help run events, volunteer if you can, work in a shop, compete in the sport, etc... Jobs in the industry can be hard to get so you need to seperate yourself from the rest of the field. Just remember, while your doing all that get yourself a college degree so you have something to fall back on in case your dream doesn't work out.

We are interviewing right now for part time production techs. I see you're in Denver, so you might be interested in driving east of DIA if you are really interested in the job. Give me a call if it interests you.

Originally posted by snowboardfast

Does anyone know where I can find info about working in the snowboard industry? Who has jobs open and what qualifications are needed? Can you still be a rep for a snowboard company or are these jobs impossible to get?

hmm. i really suggest u to give it a shot with sean martin. not often u get a chance to maybe get your foot in the door for hardcarving company.

fwiw, it always pays off to be very very very persistant and have a -very very very- strong desire to be involved one way or another. i currently work for poma ski lift factory, vail snowmaking/terrain park/special events, and student. that's from more than a decade of accumulation of working in the ski industry. my first experience was dishwashing for keystone conference center back in 1994. so its nice now that i look back. ive gone from dishwasher to disabled ski instructor, snowboard bum, water sampler, housekeeping, retail, and liftie.