Note to New Members ×

OT: Anyone tried/uses ONSPEED?

rikytheripster

what it does is strip down jpg gif files among other things

AOL, earthlink and a few other ISPs offer software like this included with your subscription

all they do is reduce the quality of the media you are seeing by using lossy compression

I used to use the one that earthlink provides, it made no real difference except on pages that make heavy use of gif and jpg images and most of those still take ages because the worst pages are from the bone heads that save large photos in gif, bmp or tif

with sites that use allot of flash this does you no good

I would also be weary of anything that sends everything I look at to a server somewhere then redirects it to me, in other words I would read the UELA very carefully for language that says they are selling your browsing habits to advertisers and all that crazy stuff

give it a shot and see what you think, it might be better than the software I used

"all they do is reduce the quality of the media you are seeing by using lossy compression"

yes and no. i have seen much of the confidential paperwork on one of these applications (I'm involved in supporting it), some facets are much more complex then what you said in your above statement, yet your statement does (or may) comprise a part of the application. end users are able to control some settings too.