Note to New Members ×

Board Suggestions

Mahoyvan

Fellow shredders, I’m looking for some ‘semi’ carve-specific board suggestions to add to my quiver.

Details: 5’10, 160lb, 9.5-10 foot, and 34 years of experience throughout the PNW.

I primarily all-mountain freeride on a 157.5 GNU Rider’s Choice. This has been used from steep & deep pow days, zipping tree lines and shoulder hits to wannabe deep-carve groomers. This will turn to my rock board next year when I go to replace it with a Jones Mind Expander, or something surfier.

That aside, I’m looking for a bit of a hybrid soft boot carving board that I can throw in the trunk and use when appropriate. This will be a dedicated setup for the following: 1) Bombing deep-carve groomers, 2) Banked slalom racing around the province and 3) the odd slalom race (fun small town spring fling style events in the area).

I can get my hands on an older 163 Kessler Cross for a decent price, but I don’t have enough (any) experience with these types of boards to know if this would check my three boxes.

I’m open to suggestions if anyone feels there’s a better decks out there!👊😃

I’ll respectfully disagree with James here.

I think the Cross is awesome for its intended use, but I recently demoed one over a full weekend in the hopes of buying it. I didn’t. Here’s my loose change:

1) the waist is way too narrow for deep groomer carves, especially with your foot size. 25cm is a really narrow waist for softboot carving. Even with risers you’ll have to use high stance angles. Note that some boot overhang isn’t as much of an issue for BX or banked slalom courses where you’re not getting the board super high on edge. I used 13mm risers with a 21-degree rear stance angle and would drag my 26.5 (8.5) boots whenever I pushed a carve. I found it maddening and the experience was what finally convinced me that a wider board was required for lower-angle softboot carving. 

2) the Cross sidecut is somehow designed to release the board down the fall line. That makes sense for BX/slalom and I loved it. I didn’t find it terribly enjoyable for groomer carving. It might be a combination of that with the flex pattern, but it just didn’t want to carve across the hill. 

Take my loose change for what it’s worth! But if you’re interested in actual carving, I think it’s way too narrow for your foot size. 

Edited by ShortcutToMoncton

Thanks for the replies so far, I appreciate it!

So is there a general rule of thumb for boot to waist measurements to minimize toe/heel drag?

Seeing as ripping groomers is goal one with banked turns and slalom being a novelty second, maybe I should look for something a bit wider.

I'm starting to see how the hunt for the perfect width + radius(s) could be a never ending quest for a quiver-killer!

Welcome M!

There is a relevant thread that you may find interesting, that is currently evolving in typical forum fashion.  This thread specifically reviews mass produced boards but there are multiple custom options available as well.

You can search on "soft boot carving" to see a range of existing discussion and reviews.  

9 hours ago, Mahoyvan said:

So is there a general rule of thumb for boot to waist measurements to minimize toe/heel drag?

It depends on your riding style.  For big fast carved turns I recommend 2cm longer than your mondo boot size for intermediate riders on intermediate terrain, 4cm longer for expert carvers on black diamond terrain.  For BX or Banked Slalom, the same waist width as your boot is fine.

9 hours ago, Mahoyvan said:

never ending quest for a quiver-killer!

There is no such thing as a quiver killer.  That board that your favourite manufacturer tries to sell as an all mountain that carves steep groom, floats pow, turns tight in the trees but long in open bowls, and flies in the park is simply bad at everything.  Different boards, different bindings, different stances for different intended uses if you want high performance.

On 4/19/2023 at 4:59 PM, ShortcutToMoncton said:

the waist is way too narrow for deep groomer carves

Agreed, but two out of three boxes checked ain't bad and Kessler makes wicked boards.  I figured this Cross would be a pretty great "one board" solution for @Mahoyvan, but the better solution is always more boards... 

The problem is that the more boards you have, the more likely you are to choose the wrong one on any given day.

20230417_115757.jpg

• Like 4
  • LOL 1