Note to New Members ×

Hard boot curious

Oldguy

Howdy all!

I have recently become very curious about hard boot snowboard setups. I’ve been riding soft boots since I started in 1990. I am wondering if anybody in the Kalispell, Whitefish area can recommend a place to demo some boots and binding? If nothing is available, could anybody suggest a good beginner set up I could start researching. I’m not looking to purchase until the 2024 season, so I have some time to learn about what I don’t know. Thank you all for the time and advise.

• 2 weeks later...

There are no shops renting alpine setups anymore.  AFAIK, there are no shops in Montana even selling any.  It's all online shopping.  The Montucky Clear Cut held at Turner is an opportunity to demo boards, but still BYO boots and bindings.

For safety, steer clear of antique gear.  In the last decade, there aren't as many choices as you'd think for boots and bindings.  For boots it is just UPZ and Deluxe really.  Mountain Slope is too $$$ to just test the waters.  For bindings it is Bomber or F2.

You can find used on the for sale forum or eBay, or you might luck out and be able to borrow something.  What size boots do you wear?

That's my shell size.  Riding UPZ RC12 now, but have my old UPZ RC10 shells for backup.  Maybe we can arrange a demo day.  The boot mold is still the same; just different tongue attachment and buckles.  I stuff size 10 liners in them from the next size up, so still have the original size 9.5 liners unused.

• 9 months later...