Note to New Members ×

Dirtsurfer v-brake setup?

Dan

Hey all, I feel kind of clueless here, but I can't figure out how to set up the v-brake. What/where exactly does the free end get attached to?

Rode up and down the street outside my house with no brake tonight. Still feels weird, but I see a lot of potential in this thing.

Thanks,

Dan

i think that you are going to find that the brake is no longer necessary after about a month of riding. you know that it's time to take it off when you are trying to find somewhere to attach it while you're riding. (pocket, velcro, etc.) But it will save you from a lot of wrecks in the begining.

Originally posted by outsider

i think that you are going to find that the brake is no longer necessary after about a month of riding. you know that it's time to take it off when you are trying to find somewhere to attach it while you're riding. (pocket, velcro, etc.) But it will save you from a lot of wrecks in the begining.

I'm a bit confused. I've only ridden one for a little while but I don't see how you could possible stop it without using the calf-operated brake (one of the dirtsurfer's key features in my opinion).

Perhaps you mistakenly assumed that a dirtsurfer was a traditional mountainboard (you can learn more about it searching the BOL forum or going to www.dirtsurfer.com).

Otherwise if you know of a different way to control speed with your dirtsurfer I'd be interested in hearing about it.

I'm with lonerider. I'm considering removing/disabling the dead-man brake, but the calf-operated V-brake is my friend.

The dead-man brake is a pain because it makes me feel like I can't adjust my stance/move my back foot when I'm riding. And how functional is it? If I fall off the board, it can't get that far without me balancing it. (And quite frankly, if I fall off the board, it will probably be because I high-sided or ran into something - it won't be rolling forward at that point anyway).

Lonerider, what do you think?

Originally posted by Dan

I'm with lonerider. I'm considering removing/disabling the dead-man brake, but the calf-operated V-brake is my friend.

The dead-man brake is a pain because it makes me feel like I can't adjust my stance/move my back foot when I'm riding. And how functional is it? If I fall off the board, it can't get that far without me balancing it. (And quite frankly, if I fall off the board, it will probably be because I high-sided or ran into something - it won't be rolling forward at that point anyway).

Lonerider, what do you think?

Well the unit that I rode already had the deadman's brake taken off of it to allow for foot adjustment and to give more ground clearance. I agree that I have a hard time imagining a situation in which I could fall off the dirtsurfer without it going on it's side as well (prehaps if you were riding it without straps). So yea, probably would get ride of it.