Note to New Members ×

Slush

nekdut

hi Nekdut,

yes, I'm flying in to Reno. Thx for the offer, I'm actually headed for a day (and night) of ATV'ing at Sand Mountain, Nevada after teh camp, then we're headed to Reno. Right now I'm prolly not terribly interested in the possibility of losing more money while at carving camp, lol, but I'll certainly keep it open, play it by ear.

B/w the long flights, ATVs, carving, and gambling (i'm no high roller though) in addition to already slightly sore ankles from bad technique kicking, I'm trying not to totally sacrifice my body and/or bank account - not all in the same vacation anyway =). Look fwd to meeting/ hanging with you all though

===

Barry

a stiff nose does help allot, structure is very important as well

I like a harder wax along my edges and I use molydenum or graphite waxes in dirty old snow, they seem to help keep some of the dirt out of your base and swix claims that waxes with graphite cuts down on static though I think that might only apply to dry snow

the ultimate warm wax was swix yellow with silicone, they stopped making it but if you ever see any pick it up

Zardoz I never liked, I prefer a rub on wax(not paste) or even some soft hot wax rubbed on then corked in

as for the way you ride it depends on the board, if the nose is soft it will be really easy to cartwheel over the nose

my tecnique is to say screw carving and go top speed, in the chop it seems scary at first but once you are going really fast it will remind you of water skiing or something

just be careful riding at mach speeds with other people in those conditions, it takes allot longer to stop and its much harder to change direction quickly

BTW Bordy makes another great point. steep, slushy trails are a blast on race sticks, think jump turns on a beautiful sunny day on a 185

ohh talk about heaven and a good workout to boot

Have fun!

I reduce my forward lean and lock my boots

as of late I have been riding with my AFs unlocked in the hard pack with the dial sideways

back when I was riding burton boots in the spring I would tighten the springs so there was very little forward flex, this does throw you around allot at lower speeds but at high speeds its the difference between sucking up a bump and doing the superman to face plant @ 35 to 40 MPH

but these things I am saying are really applied only to the way I ride in the spring, most people have a different outlook on spring slush like going into the bumps in that case short board with a flexy boot would be what you want

this does not mean I am standing more upright its just that I am moving at the knees more and at the ankle less

mainly trying not to fold that nose and keep the board under control or at least under me

;)

wow I am babling tonight sorry for being wordy and all