Note to New Members ×

Off Season Quiver

Gecko

OK I figure excluding a few Colorado and California folks the rest of us are well in to the post carving jones. With the talk of skating I figured it was time to show off the "Off Season Quiver. Attached is mine though the Natas and red boards aren't set up, I have the trucks, wheels, bearing and hardware, my wife only lets me keep 3 boards set up in the living room. The red board were are usually set up indentical except for wheel durometer one for ramp, the other for pool, the purple is my new (old stock) Roskopp that I bought for poolriding and general screwing around, the Jay Adam I skate mini and street with...the speed board is a Vision Streetrod with RII 180's (w/red dough do's) amd Road Rider Wheels, I think the bearings are some old Abec 9 inline skate race bearings...they are smooth and roll forever

post-507-141842203966_thumb.jpg

Originally posted by skatha

The geckos around here are pink and black spotted-glad to see you don't resemble your namesake!!!

He is sporting leopard spotted knee pads though. Gecko, are those ProDesigned Pads? I'm looked to upgrade my knee pads after riding the same pair of 8 years (wow... that makes me feel old saying that).

PD's are the $hit...I have never owned a more comfortable pair of kneepads...I bought the Super Singles 3 years ago and just last year bought a pair of wristguards...those are different as the require Gloves but I always where gloves anyway. Eventually I'll probably order elbow pads too...BTW don't bother with stock just measure (round down) and order custom.

and that's dalmation spots on the kneepads

Originally posted by Gecko

PD's are the $hit...I have never owned a more comfortable pair of kneepads...I bought the Super Singles 3 years ago and just last year bought a pair of wristguards...those are different as the require Gloves but I always where gloves anyway. Eventually I'll probably order elbow pads too...BTW don't bother with stock just measure (round down) and order custom.

and that's dalmation spots on the kneepads

Oh sorry, I though they were leopard because of the orange-tinged color in the "underfur." What do you mean the wristguards require gloves? So I should do the measurements for knee and wristguards (planning to get both) and then round down to the next nearest inch?

Thanks

for me even though I measured my wrist I find that the wristguards fit better and more important work better when I'm wearing gloves...I usually wear a pair of heavy workgloves anyway. If you go to the PD website there is a measuring guide also a list of the fabrics round down to the nearest inch...Call Wild Bill about exactly "what kind" of kneepad you need he's very helpfull and nice to boot...Dalmation...they were originally a light tan but masonite dust stained them a bit into the orange color:rolleyes:

Thank your park director for buying my ramps.

BTW - Skatewave now offers a resin (a la SkateLite) surface that can replace the TecTrek steel surface you're skating on if they are rusting.

We also have a few 1/2 bowls in Japan somewhere......

Originally posted by Kent

Thank your park director for buying my ramps.

BTW - Skatewave now offers a resin (a la SkateLite) surface that can replace the TecTrek steel surface you're skating on if they are rusting.

We also have a few 1/2 bowls in Japan somewhere......

no Offence but I'm not a huge fan of Skatewave, I always feel cramped on it, that mini needs to be double it's width and a foot higher (I like to smithgrind not enough vert there) for me to feel comfy though the park in Pearl Harbor (also Skatewave) was layed out a lot better.Which is the major problem with all the Prefab companies is that they will give the buyer what he wants not neccessarily what he needs. Admitedly I'd rather skate concrete but Japan has few pools or Burnside like parks so I make do. Though I as a 38 year old skateboarder I also understand the need to have a training area for the up and coming Groms (my comfort level is set at 6-9 feet on 8-10 foot tranies)and Skatewave products provide that at a price that most parks directors can afford...I on the otherhand will be building my own mini pool as soon as I buy a house (next summer maybe). I have a week in Jan in Sand Dog to play here should be fun

I wish I could find someone to take some shots when I`m out boarding. There is never anyone around this place when I go .

New Ulm Skatepark

I`ll have to get a couple new shots of my 2 boards and my sons. :D

Just got this board from Streetboardz.com after waiting over 3 weeks. Turns out the board I wanted he could no longer get but never bothered to notify me, no calls or emails. I don`t recomend them to anyone.

100_1420a.jpg

I`ll get some new shots of my freestyle board tomorrow. And my new Brian Patch Protec helmet. Now to get some better pads to. Might have to go the PDs like you. Can`t get a good fit on anything out there. Adult larges I wear are so tight I quit wearing my elbow pads since it would make my arms go numb.

Going on 44 and still boarding, my residents love to watch when I head out on my longboard with my son chasing me on his bike.

no Offence but I'm not a huge fan of Skatewave, I always feel cramped on it, that mini needs to be double it's width and a foot higher (I like to smithgrind not enough vert there) for me to feel comfy though the park in Pearl Harbor (also Skatewave) was layed out a lot better.Which is the major problem with all the Prefab companies is that they will give the buyer what he wants not neccessarily what he needs. Admitedly I'd rather skate concrete but Japan has few pools or Burnside like parks so I make do. Though I as a 38 year old skateboarder I also understand the need to have a training area for the up and coming Groms (my comfort level is set at 6-9 feet on 8-10 foot tranies)and Skatewave products provide that at a price that most parks directors can afford...I on the otherhand will be building my own mini pool as soon as I buy a house (next summer maybe). I have a week in Jan in Sand Dog to play here should be fun

No offense taken.....

Skatewave offers municipal-grade modular ramps. It's meant for recreational use, not high performance skating. Kinda like the different b/w a municipal golf course and Augusta National.

With that said, there are "issues" with several of the rep groups that sell our product. Every skatepark is designed by a top 10 pro skater (Andy Mac, Rodney Jones, Chet Childres, Dayne Brummet, etc). But...more often than not, either the rep group or the park-rec guys don't follow our blueprint. Since you're on older 2.0 equipment, I know that's the case. Now....we double check each install to avoid crappy designs with are either unsafe or no-fun.

As for the heights...it's usually dependent upon local laws....or a bad purchase decision of the park-rec board.

Being a old-schooler as well...I certainly enjoy riding pools better than olling all day....

Originally posted by jkallinen

I wish I could find someone to take some shots when I`m out boarding. There is never anyone around this place when I go .

New Ulm Skatepark

That's a TrueRide park. They are good guys and offer the best custom wood product in the biz......

It's a great purchase until you have to replace the SkateLite.

Fun parks, great ride.

You should come up to Mpls and hit the Edina park!! IMO, a poorly designed park with a hefty price tag, but better than nothing. I wish they had add'l funds to make a street course...

http://www.concretedisciples.com/skateparksdb/skateparks_display.php?id=1186

Originally posted by Kent

That's a TrueRide park. They are good guys and offer the best custom wood product in the biz......

It's a great purchase until you have to replace the SkateLite.

Fun parks, great ride.

You should come up to Mpls and hit the Edina park!! IMO, a poorly designed park with a hefty price tag, but better than nothing. I wish they had add'l funds to make a street course...

http://www.concretedisciples.com/skateparksdb/skateparks_display.php?id=1186

I have thought about checking out the Edina skatepark. I need to practice more before hitting the concrete though. The last concrete park I road was back in 1977 or 78 can`t quite remember which that was in Maplewood off HWY 36. Bulldozed a long time ago. For now I`ll practice the ramps here to get some better pads before tackling the concrete. I kind of like having this little park to myself when the kids are all at school yet. But thats about to end soon, schools out in 10 more days here. Then my son will be coming with. ;)

I have thought about checking out the Edina skatepark. I need to practice more before hitting the concrete though. The last concrete park I road was back in 1977 or 78 can`t quite remember which that was in Maplewood off HWY 36. Bulldozed a long time ago. For now I`ll practice the ramps here to get some better pads before tackling the concrete. I kind of like having this little park to myself when the kids are all at school yet. But thats about to end soon, schools out in 10 more days here. Then my son will be coming with. ;)

better pads is a minor excuse but practice on ramps only stutters your flow. I have always found concrete to be easier to ride than ramps because it's easier to just continue on instead of having to turn around on ever wall

better pads is a minor excuse but practice on ramps only stutters your flow. I have always found concrete to be easier to ride than ramps because it's easier to just continue on instead of having to turn around on ever wall

This old time skateboarder has to relearn his ramp etique and remember weighting and unweighting to get the most out of a concrete park that has all kinds of people around. Been a skateboarder since 72 and have slowly evolved with it since. Had my own halfpipe for 2 years till vandals burned it and my father forbid any reconstruction. That just turned me into a freestyle rider for all those years and I lost all my ramp practice. These little ramps are good to get me back into it though. the concrete makes me kinda nervous since I don`t want to get hurt.

This old time skateboarder has to relearn his ramp etiquette ...

ETIQUETTE???? the only kind we ever had was Snake and Barge...first tail to the copping wins and stay out of the way...unless you are rolling in then whoever rolls in has priority

Originally posted by jkallinen the concrete makes me kinda nervous since I don`t want to get hurt. [/b]

I have the opposite problem...Ramps are where I get hurt...when I have the option of rolling away from my mistakes I more often don't fall...not that it looks pretty just that I don't fall as much...another thing to think about in Concrete is setup particularly wheel Durometer. Pool Rats run HARD wheels...like +101a which is next to death on anthing but a metal ramp and sometimes even that...however Ramp wheels (I use will feel slow and sticky on smooth concrete. Personally I have a hard time rolling ramp wheels in pools but I'm trying a new set of Ricta's which are totally different than normal wheels so who knows...I still have a set of Deathbox wheels standing by

I have the opposite problem...Ramps are where I get hurt...when I have the option of rolling away from my mistakes I more often don't fall...not that it looks pretty just that I don't fall as much...another thing to think about in Concrete is setup particularly wheel Durometer. Pool Rats run HARD wheels...like +101a which is next to death on anthing but a metal ramp and sometimes even that...however Ramp wheels (I use will feel slow and sticky on smooth concrete. Personally I have a hard time rolling ramp wheels in pools but I'm trying a new set of Ricta's which are totally different than normal wheels so who knows...I still have a set of Deathbox wheels standing by

If I understand that you want rock-hard wheels for concrete? I'm running super-hard wheels right now on our concrete park and thinking I'd like to go a little softer. They just seem jarring and not that fast either. Maybe some of the Abec 11 wheels in a mid-90s duro would work better.

Originally posted by willywhit

where are you kiting in Greece ? http://www.kitebeaches.com/kitebeaches/list.php

Hi,

As I live in Athens I'm kiting in Nissakia wave society beach.

I go for holidays in Paros island in Pounda kite beach wich going to have a PKRA event in July www.pkra.info

It's a very nice island with sandy beaches warm and windy with very good night life,perfect for kiting if you ever plan visit Greece.

I saw that you kiting in Cape Hatteras I have a very good friend living and kiting there his name is Dimitri Maramenidis he is a Pro rider for Airush and he has his own brand of boards call Hana Crew.

He is a very nice guy and he can help you if you ever need anything.

Regards from Greece.

Aris

Dimitri Maramenides is an amazing rider and a helluva nice guy. We heard about him from Matt Nuzzo at Real. He's the local Sea Specs rep down there, and my buddy was looking for the bro deal. this video gives me goose bumps: http://www.kiteflix.com/mielcke2.html looks like fun,eh ?! he first off the kicker is Martin Vari on the Orange RRD. Then you see Andre Phillip, Jason Slezak, Sam Bell, Dimitri Maramenides and some kid from AU that was killing it. This kiteboarding video is by Bill Mielcke, our newest KiteFLix correspondent based out of Hatteras, North Carolina. Way to go, Bill. This video has a good stoke and a great message. Listen to it. Get out and ride.