Note to New Members ×

Bindings And Boots:going Soft

eastcoasticerider

I am still weighing and evaluating information Im getting from carvers on a soft setup for next season.....I have been looking at the Nidecker 800 bindings simply because they look well designed and have a comfortable gel insert ankle strap also the Drake Matrix look sgood with a wide scyulpted strap. I was thinking about using one of those boxy toe straps like on the Burton Mission binding. Also I will need boots that are sort of stiff but will accomodate a wide foot( 9 1/2 EEEE width) and a thick wide calf area....some manufacturers seem to design for differrent physical traits. I tried a Solomon Malamute boot and it puts my toes asleep,which may be a binding flaw also...i was riding a n economy Ride binding (LS) with thin socks and no footbeds.....it sure seems liek a complicated puzzle with lots of variables for a newbie.....:confused: :confused: :confused:

Umm... so what's you question? :) The Nidecker 900 have the gel-inject strap, not the 800 Pros. I have the 800 Pros and really like them and their slightly less stiff straps (I'm told the highback is the real difference). I don't know what else to say that won't be repeating myself. Oh... I think someone mentioned Drake Matrix aren't very stiff.

I think you have just about all the info most people can give yo, now you just need to bear down and get/try a few models. Seriously, I think you will probably like most of the models suggested and it should be fine. While I'm sure eventually you'll find one that you prefer, I don't think one model is going to like open your eyes or something (people who say that tend to suddenly had a new fad the next season).

Originally posted by eastcoasticerider

what about boots for superwide feet and thick calves?:confused:

Step 1: Go to store

Step 2: Try on boots

Step 3: Post here to tell us how great they are

Step 4: There is no Step 4, because you finally did something about this instead of posting the same thing 300 times.

I think you would be <i>sorely</i> remiss not to investigate Catek Freerides. You can get them with the Nidecker 900 straps.

I haven't ridden softboots in a few years so I haven't tried them but I've heard that the responsiveness of those bindings has caused several "epiphanies" on the first run.

Guest sierra

If you like the Drake Matrix because of the wide ankle strap, check out the Drake Podium. It is the same binding but with carbon fiber highback and baseplate - very stiff. I have these and the wide strap is the only one that completely eliminates instep pain for me (wide feet). They do however seem to limit your ankle flex slightly.

Originally posted by Jack Michaud

I think you would be <i>sorely</i> remiss not to investigate Catek Freerides. You can get them with the Nidecker 900 straps.

I haven't ridden softboots in a few years so I haven't tried them but I've heard that the responsiveness of those bindings has caused several "epiphanies" on the first run.

The Freerides are an extremely responsive bindings... especially with super-stiff boots - approaching the feel of a softish plate binding with soft hardboots. I like my softboot setups to feel different from my alpine setups and that's why I prefer the Nideckers, but if you are looking to go hard all the time... but in softboots, those could be the bindings for you... there are a few niggles with the current models that I hope will be address in the futures (the Nidecker straps were in response to complaints about the old straps being subpar). The Freerides have a very narrow heelcup (it fit snugly around my size 7.5-8 boots). I'm told it is very jarring to some people who have wide ankles (the heelcup bangs you right on the ankle bone) and chews away at your boot so be warned. Also the toeramps are a little large so see if you can size down on them. Personally I didn't find the Freerides super comfortable... but I think that had to do with my foot being so small (size 7.5-8) such that the Freerides weren't really designed well for that extremely size range AND because I'm a lightrider (150 lbs... apparently <170 lbs is lightweight around here) so that I get knocked around a bit by the heavy-duty construction of the all aluminum Freerides. I have two friends who are bigger than me (in the 200 lbs) range and they don't notice this feeling... so it is likely rider specific.

they have some quirks but are really the best thing going that I have been on they are stiff and canting in moderation can really tweak the way you ride in softies

I will go so far as to say that the freeride is is much more important to me than their plates

I rode catek WCs for years but I can get close enough with bombers to the canting I like