Note to New Members ×

Prior 4WD or 4x4 ?

BlueB

Does anyone know what is the difference between 4WD and 4x4, if any? Prior web site calls the current all-mountain board 4WD, while many articles here refer to 4x4. Today I saw a board in a shop, marked Prior 4x4 on the top sheet. Unlike the current 4WD with small rounded tail, this had square tail with almost no upturn. Shop's tag said 155 (which could be incorrect). Waist looked quite narrow, and flex felt stiff. I didn't have tape to measure the specs. 3 pairs of inserts front and back. All white board with black ram's horns on the nose, and word Prior behind it running longitudinally.

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

Boris

Originally posted by BlueB

Does anyone know what is the difference between 4WD and 4x4, if any? Prior web site calls the current all-mountain board 4WD, while many articles here refer to 4x4. Today I saw a board in a shop, marked Prior 4x4 on the top sheet. Unlike the current 4WD with small rounded tail, this had square tail with almost no upturn. Shop's tag said 155 (which could be incorrect). Waist looked quite narrow, and flex felt stiff. I didn't have tape to measure the specs. 3 pairs of inserts front and back. All white board with black ram's horns on the nose, and word Prior behind it running longitudinally.

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

Boris

Well maybe the older ones were officially called 4x4, but I think most people use them interchangeable (such as the guys at the Prior factory). I'm 99% sure they are the same thing.

Just got one this season. They are great boards and if there is one that does it all, it's the 4x4. When I was talking with the Dean at Prior he used 4WD (four wheel dirve) and 4x4 (four by four) interchagably--- it's the same; however, I think the name "four wheel drive" is a little corny. ;)

Originally posted by D-Sub

email prior. theyre very good about info. Hell...take a trip to their shop! youre not that far, right?

No, not far - 2 hours drive. I will visit them, next time I go to Whistler. In the mean time I wanted to chat a bit with "brothers" about board I saw.

Boris

4x4 and 4wd definitely same board.

I do believe the "ATV" is going to be a 24cm waist with a 4x4 shape that Chris is playing with at this time,

There was a proto floating around his shop the other week.

Bumped into a Prior one off on the hill that was a dead ringer for an old winterstick right down to the old school uber long pointy nose.

Dave*

Here's what Dean of Prior's told me in his email:

"The 4X4 name was changed slightly a few years back to 4WD to avoid confusion to the 4X4 insert packs on snowboards. Bomber and several other customers, etc still refer to this style as the 4X4.

The 4WD with square tail you are referring to is several years old and was probably pressed in 1998. It may still work fine although our current 4WD has come a long way since those days."

Boris