Note to New Members ×

Matte Finish Contact Paper.

bumpyride

I've been covering my boards with Contact paper for 9 years now. Primarily I've used the Jersey Cow Pattern that has been discontinued. I just bought 3 more rolls off of ebay.

This paper has stuck very well and the upside to using it, is I get more complements from kids 12 and under on my cool board.

After experimenting with the different kinds and patterns, the only other one that has worked really well is the matte finish clear. The gloss clear delams after a couple of usages, whereas the matte stays on.

When applying it to the board, peel it half way down, and leave the backing under the other section, and start from the middle of the board to the end with a sweeping motion from side to side to get all the air bubbles out of it. Then go back to the middle and peel the backing off slowly to the other end with the same sweeping motion.

Then take one of those small breakaway razor knives, hold it at a 45 degree angle and cut using the edge of the board as a brace for the razor. Make sure that you don't leave any section of the paper over the edge of the board. Any excess will be sure to collect snow and peel it off.

I have one board that has had the same paper on it for 9 years, and the matte finish one that I used it has seen at least 120 to 150 days in the bumps, and has not delamed either.

Hope this helps you out.

The other upside to this is that barring a catastrophic slice, the stuff can be peeled off and the board topsheet will be like new, and hardly even a mark from the bingings.

another good way to get a good cut to the shape of the board is the same thing used to apply grip tape to a skateboard...

take a fine file and run it around the edges, and THEN take a blade to it, gently. with practice you can get it perfect!

contact paper...like...for cabinet shelves?

its waterproof?

Originally posted by Jon Dahl

applied to the back of my board would deter those pesky jibbers/skiers in the lift lines, and the free base grind would stop them from catching me afterwards!

For that, I think you want a Dakine Spike stomp pad, which conveniently separates into strips that can be stuck to the back of five decks (outside ones are thicker and angled a bit)

post-111-141842203546_thumb.jpg

D sub. Wasn't sure if you were talking to me about durability, but the first board that I had that I put contact paper on, has had the same paper on it for 9 years, about 3 of which were 40 plus days. I guess that isn't too bad, considering it cost about $8 to do 3 boards. That was with the Jersey Cow pattern. The clear matte finish (not the high gloss which didn't last too long-I think the adhesive is weaker) has been on my primary board for the last 3 years.

Guest Tim Tuthill

For tail protection use velcro. 1 inch strips along the edge. The skis ride up over it and don't touch the board. I got this bit of info from Doug Dryer. It works great and does not look too bad. If I can figure how to put a pic up I will do that.

Originally posted by bumpyride

D sub. Wasn't sure if you were talking to me about durability, but the first board that I had that I put contact paper on, has had the same paper on it for 9 years, about 3 of which were 40 plus days. I guess that isn't too bad, considering it cost about $8 to do 3 boards. That was with the Jersey Cow pattern. The clear matte finish (not the high gloss which didn't last too long-I think the adhesive is weaker) has been on my primary board for the last 3 years.

you know what? I think you said that already! my bad:)

so..contact paper..."shelf paper" is the same thing?

• 9 months later...

I got mine from Home Depot. It's just the clear with a matte finish. I haven't looked for it for a long time. I've been using the Jersey Cow (black and white) for years till they discontinued it. I got my last batch from ebay. When you look in ebay also check completed items on the side bar, to see if anything has come up in the last month or two.

Good Luck.

Fischer