Note to New Members ×

Porkies, Porcupine Mountains

bigwavedave

Friday, Feb 21, 2020

I was surprised I couldn't find a thread for the Porkies. It's been a couple of years since I've been here.

Stayed at IH last night to make a trip over to the Porkies today. Really, really nice snow. They only have natural snow. There was about 4" fresh on the sides of the groomed runs as well as trails left un-groomed, and of course lots of back-country tree stuff. There were plenty of acres groomed for carving. Temps got up to about 40° this afternoon.

It's kind of small, but I really like this place! Fun trails, not too busy (no line for the one chair lift) and stunning views of Lake Superior!

They are trying to get funding to add a second chair where there used to be one years ago. As it is now, you have to use a rope tow at the top that takes you over to the trails formerly served by the old chair. The rope tow wasn't going today, but one could walk. My legs were too shot to ride for very long, never mind exploring.

They are only open F-S-S-M, so Friday is a good day to show up if there has been new snow over the previous few days. 

A turny carving board that likes some powder would be ideal here. The SF was up to the job, but I'm thinking I'd like a wider one with a powder nose for deeper, softer snow....

IMG_4613.JPG.b852fe8789f7296a44245a200ff9192a.JPG

Most of the runs have a steep section at the top....

IMG_4625.JPG.bf7e3a77129fcc05bd9b42547d8e80c9.JPG

...and a gradual runoff into the flats....

IMG_4617.JPG.4161ce1722bf310ecf8bf3a655a8d30c.JPG

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, bigwavedave said:

A turny carving board that likes some powder would be ideal here. The SF was up to the job, but I'm thinking I'd like a wider one with a powder nose for deeper, softer snow....

Where do I sign up?!

• Haha 1

Porcupine Mts today. Deceptively gorgeous groom at the top turned out to be crusty frozen groom on the rest of the hill. I didn't last long enough for the sun to soften things up in the afternoon. I asked the groomer driver where the best snow was and he said it might be better over on the west side, but it was pretty hard everywhere. The rope tow over to the west side still not running, so I did the short hike. Snow was no softer, but no one was over there and the view of the lake was pretty nice.

IMG_4706.JPG.434fc63bd3a62d5207dc90ed0fb999a7.JPGIMG_4722.jpg.ef522fc8c49f72968089af1435dc8efe.jpg