Note to New Members ×

Tune / stone grind in DC or Denver area

J0hn

Howdy all.  My Donek is in need of a good tune.  I want to get a stone grind to make the base flat again.  I live in the DC area, and I'm headed to Denver in a couple of weeks to ride.  Can anyone recommend a good tuner in the DC area that can properly tune a carving board?  Alternatively, I can have it done once I arrive in Denver as I expect there are more good shops in that town.  I'm not riding on the first day of my trip, so there is time.

Second question; I'm pretty sure my board came with a flat base and I rode it that way for a while.  I never caught my edge, but it was a little grabby.  I had a stone grind done using 1 deg base bevel and 1 deg side.  But I felt like I really lost some edge bite that way.  Is 0.5 deg base/side more reasonable?  Are the grinders precise enough to do 0.5 deg?

Thanks!

J0hn

Recommendations I've received in the Denver area:

Precison, Podium (Frisco)

Mono Cera (Dillon)

FWIW I generally tune 1* base, 2* side, or sometimes 3* side for icy conditions with a slight detune at tip and tail. Some grinders are certainly precise enough for a .5, but it depends on the machine and the tech. The shops above should be able to get you there (or .7* or 1.5* or whatever you are looking for)

If you have it done in CO, probably best to call ahead. They might be able to do it same/ next day, but in general a couple of days this time of years seems normal.

Edited by Mr.E

Welcome to life on the front range. I was assuming that you'd be coming into Denver and then riding ( much of whichis going to bring you uphill and in reasonable proximity to those shops). If you're just going to stay down in Denver maybe Christie's? I think Sean sans the stuff for the pro tunes out to Denver sports lab, but I'm pretty sure they're actually in Golden.

Edited by Mr.E

If you're willing to schlep to Christy Sports, you may be better off going to Denver Sports Lab, which is only about 1-2 miles further. They used to - and may still - have some former World Cup techs in the house. I've found them to be professional, meticulous and affordable. I've seen Doneks direct from the factory awaiting tunes there. Not sure how long you'd have to leave it, but I suspect you could ask about a rush order.