Note to New Members ×

Intec heel screws

Tommy D

I have a question about the screws that came with my new intec heels.

There was some loctite on each screw, but it was too much; I had to remove quite a bit of it before I could thread the screws enough to hold the heels securely.

Did anyone else have this problem, or am I a complete wacko?

And while I'm thinking about it, has anyone replaced the philips screws with allen screws for their heel pieces? If so, do you remember the thread pitch/diameter?

Wacko was meant to be rhetorical, but have at it anyway! :D

Thanks!

Thanks everyone!

GAA: Thanks for your offer! I need 24 of them, so I'll first try my local store. (I don't want to use up your whole box!)

If I strike out there, I'll place an order at the McMaster site.

bschurman: That's a must for my bookmarks, thanks!

Rick: I'm not up on my fractions. I'm assuming 10/32x3/4 is also the same size as the M5 x 20mm with .8mm pitch?? That's good to know if the HW store doesn't carry the proper metric size.

I always have the worst luck with phillips head screws: Torx/hex/allen/square bit are for me! :D

It's really close, but not quite.

M5 = 5mm diameter and 0.8mm threads (=31.75 Threads per inch)

10-32 = 0.190" diameter (=4.82mm) and 32 threads per inch.

So, the 10-32 has a slightly smaller diameter. The TPI difference of 0.25 is probably irrelevant over 3/4".

However, the smaller diameter might be more of a concern. Perhaps the likelyhood of them ripping out because of 0.12mm is pretty small, but given the ramifications of a failure (shudder), I'd say that using the proper screws is worth the small extra cost.

Mark

Thanks for clarifying the differences between the standard and metric sizes. I agree, going to the 10-32 seems rather risky, unless I also replace the t-nuts to match.

If I were Emperor of the Earth, and Master of the Universe, then everything would be metric, and I'd have my own private ski and carving mountain range. :D