Note to New Members ×

New to Bomber

Guest Redman

Guest Redman

Found this site yesterday and just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Kris but most call me Red. I've been riding for 17+ years but only once have I ridden hard boots.

I recently started teaching snowboarding again at Butternut Basin in MA. I previously taught there at the end of the 80's and into the early 90's.

I lived in Summit County CO in the mid 90's before I moved back to MA. I rode A-Basin all the time I was there and miss that place a lot!

As I mentioned earlier, I've really only ridden softboots the whole time I've been riding. Now that I am a little older, I am much more into carving as opposed screwing around with tricks and such. I can lay down a sweet trench with pretty much any board unless it's a freestyle board. But I'm now thinking I would like to ride the correct tool for the job.

I'm probably going to start out with something used. More than likely a Burton FP164 which I've seen quite a few of in the classifieds. I'm not really sure what to do about boots and bidings at this time however. I am thinking that these 2 pieces are so key to the overall performance of the setup that I should get equipment that is as spec'd out as I can afford. I was checking out the Bomber TD2's for the binders and really don't have enough info to make a decision on boots at this point. I really am in no hurry to get a set up but would like to have it ready by next season.

I am a pretty aggressive rider and like to haul ass but the hill I ride on is a bit on the small side. I'm not opposed to working the board on shorter turns all the way to the bottom but prefer longer GS style carves. What advice do you have for someone like me?

Redman

BTW, this site is an excellent resource and just pretty much rocks. I'm stoked to have found it!

Hey, I was at Butternut this past Saturday! :D It is small, but there are a few trails perfect for carving.

A couple times now I ran into an instructor at B-nut who was carving. I forget his name, but he was laying down some sick euro carves on a super narrow F2(I think).

And there was another guy there on a Renntiger SL just like mine; I think he was an instructor also.

If Butternut will be the place you carve most, I definitely recommend getting a board more suited for short-medium turns rather than a super fast GS or long-turning board.

EDIT: Be sure to check out the classifieds on this site. Lots of good used stuff can be found there.

Redman,

It sounds like you are ready to bite the bullet, so I'll spare you the condescending advice that you can get away with using inferior equipment. You can, but there's no point if you are determined to master alpine carving.

Bindings - Basically, you can't go wrong with TD2s. Spending $125 on lesser bindings will not save you any money - in fact it is wasting money because in a year or so you'll be back here buying TD2s anyway. So buying real bindings now actually saves you money!

Boots - do yourself a favor and cough up the extra Franklin for boots with heat moldable liners, a la Deeluxe. Custom footbeds are another plus. I am actually more comfortable all day in my hardboots with molded liners and footbeds than I am in my softboots.

Board - that FP164 will probably be a good choice to start on, if you are roughly average sized. Its 11.79m radius will do small to medium GS sized turns. It's good to start on a board with a smaller radius because it will carve at lower speeds that won't scare you. When it's time to step up, a good progression would be to a board with about a 13m radius.

Also, check out the welcome center if you haven't already.

Guest Redman

Awesome replies., thanks.

ncermak: I'll definately be in touch with you. I had planned on the race but my wife got her plans on the calendar first, so I will be at home with the kids Saturday evening.

Tommy D: Small world, man. I rode the highline quad with you on Saturday. I think I told you I started snowboarding to get away from ski boots. We were riding up behind that instructor with your "other ski". His name is Brian. He just got that thing off ebay and is just getting used to it but has a blast already. The other instructor on a carver would most likely be Pete and yes, he can lay down some sick lines. We did a racing clinic with him on Sunday which is one of the reasons I'd like to get into hard boots.

Jack: Thanks for the info. I was pretty sure it would make sense to go after better boots and bindings. Now, if I can just convince my wife of the same...

Red

Originally posted by Redman

Tommy D: Small world, man. I rode the highline quad with you on Saturday. I think I told you I started snowboarding to get away from ski boots. We were riding up behind that instructor with your "other ski". His name is Brian. He just got that thing off ebay and is just getting used to it but has a blast already. The other instructor on a carver would most likely be Pete and yes, he can lay down some sick lines. We did a racing clinic with him on Sunday which is one of the reasons I'd like to get into hard boots.

Yeah! I remember! You seemed rather interested in carving on the lift. I'm glad to see you getting involved.

Welcome to the 'dark side.' :D

Oh, if you want to try out an old Volkl 158 SL, I have one collecting dust, and a set of Burton Race plates. All you need is a pair of ski boots. Let me know; I'm going up to Mohawk for a few runs tomorrow night. (Wed night)

Guest Fatty Arbuckle

I'll be riding Jiminy Peak on Saturday if anyone has any interest in meeting up. Was up there a few weekends ago and conditions were perfect.

Hope to be out on the first couple lifts to avoid crowds.....

Cheers.

RC

Originally posted by Redman

Jack: Thanks for the info. I was pretty sure it would make sense to go after better boots and bindings. Now, if I can just convince my wife of the same...

She'll say "why spend all that money if you don't even know you'll like it?" First of all, you will like it, so it's a moot point, but she'll hear none of that. ;) You can answer that Bombers are virtually indestructible and do not depreciate significantly in the course of 1 or 2 seasons. Also there is a good market for used boots for people looking to get into the sport such as yourself.

I'll also add that I wouldn't hesitate to buy used Bombers or used snowboarding hardboots as long as the boots are in good shape. If the used boots come with moldable liners, make sure they have at least 3 moldings left in them. Otherwise, buy your own new liners.

Guest MishyMawooh

What a small, small world! I'm the one that bought the renntiger for Brian this past Christmas. He's really gotten into it and having a blast. I got such a kick on saturday when the "pair" of skis found each other. lol! Kris, I'm sure he'd be more than happy to let you take it for a spin anytime (if there's a day he's not riding it)!

Anyways, I'm seeing how much fun everyone is having and I'm ready to try it myself. I'm just looking for a cheap beginner set up because cash is a little tight right now.

I'll be at the Instructors race on Saturday as the faithful girlfriend taking pictures and video of the Butternut team!

-Nicole

Guest MishyMawooh

Sure, I'll give it a try. I'm not sure what camera/s I'll be using yet. My still digital tends to lock up in cold weather and a borrowed film camera did the same last year. But if I get something worked out, I'll snap a couple and email you.

-Nicole