Note to New Members ×

Whats up with all this expensive vintage stuff lately?

hangten247

Please keep in mind. 5000$ was a "Hail Mary" "Buy Now" on a board recently. To my knowledge , no Ebay auction has every closed at 5K$. The highest I recall was around 4200$ for a BB1 "Londonderry" and was quickly paid for by a legitimate collector. Several recent Ebay auctions for vintage snowboards have had very , very high "Buy Now" prices or starting bids. This is "Fising" for high dollar buyer , often new to the game that don't know any better. Or, perhaps a pre-arranged "Buy Now" for a legitimate buyer that wants to use the safety of Ebay. However it that auction doesn't close with a winner. It is likely just "Testing the Waters" so to speak.

FYI. Board prices overall are down from 3 or 4 years ago on all but the rarest boards. However you are correct in that some high reserves and buy nows have popped up. For example , a Burton Performer Elite for 1400$ Buy Now?? They typically sell for 100-250$ max. This would be a real good example of "Fishing" for a uninformed buyer. Hey , worth a try if he gets lucking. As always, What is asked and what is paid are not the same thing.

Hangten. You are a player, you would know all this for sure.

Always buying old snowboards , entire collections, clothes, stickers , posters, race bibs, videos. www.oldsnowboards.com

Thanks again for all your support . Hope to have a proper display for everyone to enjoy the history of snowboarding some day.

If you happen to have a large building in the Portland , Vancouver or PNW area you would like to loan or rent cheap. Please let me know. Thanks, Bryan

Oldsnowboards, true, I am on eBay myself frequently, and know most of the things you mentioned. But I'm just as 'little' player compared to you, I stick to the product I know, pretty narrow focus of the types of product I deal with, and that came about quite by accident as well. If I think I can flip it and safely make a little margin on someting, I grab it. Just trying to make my way up the food chain with my own equipment with as little out of pocket as possible. Heck I was on a SuperModel with Race Plates and ancient Burton Reactors just 2 seasons ago. Now I have a used carving board with TD step ins, and brand new boots with intec heels. mybe I'll haev a new Donek in a season or two.

The boards being auctioned that I pointed out looked a bit more unusual than the run-of-the-mill cruisers and backhills I have seen as of late. I cant imagine paying the listing fees for some of these items to just be "testing the waters", but I have not looked at the listing fee schedule for high priced items as of late to see how much of a $$ gamble it would be to just be 'fishing' for a buyer. With some of those prices, it would appear that they are trying to fish for a Great White Shark in the Great Lakes, just trying to find something that is not there.

I'll leave the collecting to you. I've never been much of a collector. Believe me I've tried before several times with other items, I just don't get any satisfaction from collecting.

Good luck in your search for a display venue. I know I'd surely like to check it out someday when you get up and running.

For me, I would gladly pay a handsome chunk to put me back on a 1980 Swallowtail & have that feeling again...mine was lost somewhere between Park city & Salt lake...someday I'll find one at the DI or a garage sale or maybe sell a kidney & buy one on EBay....nothing since has felt quite the same...Pete