Note to New Members ×

Neil G - thoughts on Panorama?

Allee

Hi, Allee. I posted some comments here about my AM and a link to a little clip.

On Panorama as a whole - well, due to snow conditions it pretty much sucked as much as it did last I was there (20 years ago) as none of the swanky new terrain was rideable (at least, I refused to subject my boards to it). Everything was rock-hard and icy in many places. I've seen worse conditions at Louise in thin years - at least I hit no rocks, thanks to snowmaking - but it was still pretty bad. Spent a lot of time on Fritz's as it was in relatively good shape. Got to the top and went down the 10000 Peaks run and a couple of the bump runs, which were OK-ish but degenerated in the bottom half. The view at the Summit is truly spectacular! I think it would be a great hill with a few more feet of snow, but in talking to people the last 3 years haven't been so great.

Had my kids and mom along, so I noted that there's also a serious lack of easy greens for beginners - those greens off Mile 1 are distinctly blueish, especially with the ice.

Some mondo big houses are being put up near the golf course, a lot of serious Calgary oil money is being spent. I'm told the place is busier in summer than winter. Our condo was a short walk from the Toby lift but not truly ski-in/out. Most of the places you'd have to hike up and down stairs, so as a place to park a family for a week it's not as attractive as Big White where you can literally ski to your door.

In short, I wouldn't go back unless I knew for sure it had enough snow. I'll certainly never take a gamble by reserving months in advance again. We're already thinking Big White for next year.

I ran into only 2 other carvers all week. One is an instructor named Ian who teaches on an old 173 FP. The other was a guy from Washington state on an Axis that I rode up the lift with. Didn't get to make turns with either of them. If any other BOL folks were there, I missed them.

Bummer on the conditions. This has just been a bad year all around, apart from Sunshine (which was just in great shape yesterday) all the hills around here are having a really marginal winter.

I'm going to get in one more away trip this season, I would have loved to have gone to Panorama, but unless they get some serious snow, that's not a good option ... I already spent the weekend at Kimberley undertaking some ritual board abuse. Fernie might be better IF they can hold a snow base, it's so warm there and no snow in the forecast for this week.

If you come up to Banff drop me an email and let me know, I'd love to meet up with you.

• 4 months later...

Oh no! I'm scheduled for a week at Panorama at the end of Feb '06. I hope the conditions are great when I get out there, and last winter's dearth of snow doesn't affect the area again.

The last few years have been a combo of bad luck/timing, and all week long ski trips have been a bust for me. IT's high time that changed! :D

Given favorable conditions, how is the resort as a whole? (Specifically, the mountain terrain?)

Tommy, it looks really good and there's excellent carving terrain. But a good half of the mountain was unridable when I was there so I couldn't judge it from a hands (or edges) on perspective. But personally, based on the reports from locals, I'd change my plans if I were you. Bad snow is the norm there.

Awe, shoot, dangit! :mad:

Hopefully my trip will be the exception to the bad conditions. At least I'll have some nice comfy lodgings to kick back in, and some great company.

The way I figure it; the conditions can't be any worse than carving up New England ice. :cool:

Originally posted by Tommy D

The way I figure it; the conditions can't be any worse than carving up New England ice. :cool:

One of the instructors I was talking to was from Ontario, he mentioned that his buddies back home were razzing him about having better conditions in Ontario.

OTOH it's a pretty place, and you could do worse than kick back for a week with friends in a good condo. They did do a nice job of snowmaking/grooming to keep Fritz's in good condition and that is at least one kick-ass carving run.

Originally posted by Allee

At least if the conditions are bad at Panorama, you're within an easy drive of Fernie and Kimberley. Options well worth checking out even if Panorama is good.

Yah! We'll have two rentals cars for the week, so driving to other resorts is definitely an option; A friend of mine went to Fernie, and I heard nothing but raves about it. I meant to go visit Fernie while I was at Big Mountain, but I was having too much fun at Big. :)