Note to New Members ×

I Force My Kids to Ski

JRAZZ

Love it.

The Kemp version would be slightly different.  Our house is modest in comparison and about 90 minutes from the hill, so, it is dark when I wake them up and there is the long drive to.

There is no debate because I usually put them in the car before they are awake enough to speak.  Toothbrush, hairbrush, breakfast and clothes all in the car waiting.  The night before, they may not even be aware that we are going.  I claim that this is to ensure better sleep but it is really to minimize protest or any collusion between the two.

My kids are older now and self starters so the tactics are less necessary than before.  Now they want to bring friends, stay longer than I do and find mogul fields.  I get what I deserve.

The last scene is very accurate.   Both the apres treat and the "thanks Dad.  that was fun"  I always respond; "good, we'll do it again".  Groans and smiles.

also, my version of the "most kids never even get to ski" speech includes stats about how many countries never get a flake of snow and the day at the hill costs the equivalent of some country's GDP.  I use fictitious names for countries, for fun.

Edited by davekempmeister

Love it too!  The video shows my last 4 years of winter. Now, my kids are more excited and ready by a night before.

They have taken 6 week weeknight lessons for past 2 seasons. The program starts at 5 pm and we live little less than 2 hours away. As soon as they are off from school bus, we hit the road. Changing, snack, and homework are all done in the car.  After the lesson, they ski/ride with me until end of the operating hour which is 10 pm.

I get done putting away gears around 1 or 2 am and sit back on my chair with a cup of coffee and smile.