Note to New Members ×

noob looking for LA area store

Guest eladius

Guest eladius

I did a rudimentary search on the forum and couldn't find anything. Other than the big name chain shops, I would like to visit a store that sells alpine equipment, like plate bindings and such. Anyone know of any?

TIA!

Guest Randy S.

Dude, There are no stores anywhere. Unfortunately that's a fact of life for us hard booters. Just read as much as you can on this site. Ask questions and you'll get great answers. Use the search function. Then you'll end up ordering what you need via the web, or buying it in the classifieds section of this site. There are one or two shops near Tahoe that have begun stocking boots and bindings, but not much in the way of boards.

The good news, is once you get it figured out, Alpine riding is awesome.

Good luck

Guest eladius

this forum is great and I highly value it. I've come to learn from this website and postings on the forum that some of the great gear seems to come from bomber, catek, f2, donek, etc.

However, much of this gear I've only seen in pictures. I'd like to get a tactile feel of these items, a hands-on appreciation of them. i want to run my fingers over the cool, gleaming, anodized, machined metal bits. I want to caress each precise cut, grind and polish. I want to smell the individual parts close up. I want to weigh the heft of each piece in my hands... i want to... you get the picture. i'll stop right there, before i get a little too carried away!

i know the best deals will probably be found either here or on some online posting or ebay. but i want to see it, in the raw!

In addition to Goldsmith's in Big Bear there is another store in Wrightwood called Mtn Hi Sports, Tim is the owner there and he is a great guy on the phone. Never have ridden with him but I hear he shreds. The contact guy at Goldmiths is Alex, most of the other employees know nothing 'bout alpine.

One thing you should know, both of these shops haven't stocked alpine gear for a few years, what they have is new old inventory.

You need to call first to find out what they have in stock.

I'm plannning on going to Big Bear this weekend, if Ihave time I will swing by Goldsmith's and see what they still have.

One more thing, Mtn Hi Sports does carry TD2 bindings.

Check out Val Surf in Valley Village. I rented a Burton Alp from them two seasons ago. The board had a lot of dust on it and they might still have them pushed into the corner of the rental area. They didn't have anything new, but they'd probably sell you what they have.

Guest eladius

I know they've got a store in woodland hills. I'm gonna check it out. i was hoping to be able to rent some alpine gear before actually buying it, test drive it, you know? :)

All I can say is that once you are convinced that you are a carver go with the Bomer store. They are the sickest online hardboot store on the net...bar non. Just had to say that after Michelle has shown infinite patience time and time again.

nada, zippo, not a chance.

Wave Rave (the larger of two snowboard shops in Mammoth) might still have a dusty factory prime snowboard that they will rent but they don't have any plates or hard boots. They did have one set of Burton cants that I bought 2 or 3 years ago and they weren't even sure what they were.

alan