Note to New Members ×

Anybody ride Winterplace, WV

Mellow Yellow

Nice resort, VERY slow chairlifts, short runs. They boast of a 600' drop, but that must be to the bottom of the parking lot. It's about 90 acres total. The "main" blue and black runs are less than 1/2 mile long. They all dump out into one run towards mid-mountain. Nice runs, but just very short. Of course, like all places around here, it will be busy this weekend, and night skiing might be less crowded.

I learned how to ski and ride in the mountains of NC (used to live in Stanley for a few years). If I were in your shoes, I'd opt for Beech, Sugar or Hawksnest. I always loved the Hawk because it was the least crowded. :) You'll find more challenge in NC.

Of course, with Snowshoe just up the road for me, I always recommend that, but it is 6 hours from you. Silver Creek has wide open runs that are rarely crowded and great for carving.

Scott, I kind of consider Silver Creek the "hidden jewel" of the Snowshoe resort. I have been a season pass holder since 1998, so it's pretty much my home base. If you have been to Snowshoe before, you know that it can get pretty nuts on the weekends. The main mountain and Western Territory can be a zoo. The vertical drop at Silver Creek is only about 740 feet as opposed to 880 at the main mountain, but I can't tell that difference. I ski almost exclusively at Silver Creek for a few reasons:

Crowds are at least 1/5 the size;

The runs are very wide with some consistent pitches;

Easy and "cheap" access to food (the cafeteria in the lodge);

Night skiing (day pass is good for night skiing too) on the good cruisers, just in case the day is a bit crowded;

Northern facing slopes (as opposed to Snowshoe's east and west) always means better quality snow;

Did I mention less people= more carving room?

With all that said, some good runs include Timberjack (just keep your speed at the bottom to get to the lift), Cascade, Fox Chase and Slaymaker. All are wide with room to really lay down an edge. The run from the very top of the Flying Eagle lift back towards the lodge, Buck Saw goes past all of these runs, and you can just come off that trail to hit any of them for a longer run. In the early morning, you can usually catch one or two carvers out there.

If you decide to go, and would like another rider, just drop me a line.

:)

Thanks for the valuable info David! I've only been to Snowshoe once, and that was a long time ago...so I appreciate the inside scoop.

We're looking at possibly making a mid-week trip down during the first week of March---probably can't get down there sooner. If/when we go, I'll definitely give you some advance notice. If you want, email me with your email so we can keep in touch.

Where in Virginia are you? (I grew up in Charlottesville.)

Scott

This season (being my first in the semi-deep South) I bought a pass to Beech.... well I'm not going to get my moneys worth this season so next season I'm going to start chasing the snow. I'll probably make a few trips to WV.... so post when you're riding... or email me at trenchcarver at yahoo

This weekend I'm undecided as to where I'm going to go.... I may still give winterplace a try....