Note to New Members ×

160-165 Rad Air Tanker

jtslalom

I am looking for a shorter Rad Air Tanker. I already have a 172 which I really enjoy riding. The resort I ride at does not have many wide slopes and is usually icy. I am looking to buy a shorter Rad Air Tanker some where in the low 160's. Plese let me know if you have anything to offer. Thanks

JT

Edited by jtslalom

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Smilin'Dave.

jtslalom, I am not sure how many 162 Tankers were even made over the years.  I know a few were, but I tried for a couple of years to get a 162 version of my 172 Tanker and Harry just was not making them at the time. 

The 160 Amplid is a possibility for a small Tanker feel.  It would ride more like the prerockered Tankers.  I think the rockered Tankers started around 2007?  I cannot say for sure on the comparison though as I have only ridden the 200, 192, and 182 cambered Tankers.  They were all way too big for me (145 pounds), but fun to try and nothing like a normal length board.

With Tankers, there's the 162 (Which I LOVE!, but no longer have, in a functional form, thanks to one very large rock..), and also the '167', which is a Wide version of the 162 (26.3cm at the waist).

A 'step down' in the R/A lineup was the World Wide, and Indy. Both were available in 165cm, 160cm, and 157cm. They aren't as stiff at the nose as a non-cap Tanker, but compare well to the older capped Tankers in flex, very playful, carvable, and with the W.W. series, good floatation (26.6 cm waist on the bigger ones; I still have a 153 and 157, awesome Glades boards!). The Indy in some years ('03-'04?) softened a bit, and the waist was 25cm.

'The' 162 to own though is the "Crown Edition" from '05. Weighs nothing (lighter by far than a Vapor), and carves nimbly while almost floating as well as the '00-'01'-02 capped 162's did. 

Volkl's Selecta has some merit (and shared DNA) in comparison to a smaller Tanker, so, keep an eye out there, as well.

• Like 1

This is the information I am looking for. Thanks so much fellas. Since owning my Tanker I really don't want to ride anything else. I don't mind spending money on a good board and had hoped that there were a few shorter tankers lying around somewhere. I will definitely look into the other boards you guys have mentioned.

Thanks'again

Jt