Note to New Members ×

How to set boots flex?

Zone

The topic was brought up here & on the Swoard forum (where the is an extensive use of the Northwave springs)

However I wonder how do I know I have the correct flex? Or is it so individual there is no metrics to quantify the 'right' amount?

Background: I'm 145lbs, on Northwaves with ultra soft springs, flex is almost a stiff soft boots. This week I found an old pair of yellow (very stiff) springs, the flex became ski boots like for my weight. 

First day was 2 days post freezing rain and I was very steady making pencil line on yellow springs but did not feel surfy at all. Yesterday was 10cm chopped up crowded and I was bouncing all over the place and could not react very fast to the bumps/chop, switched to the very soft springs and it was like riding soft boots (but tend to wobble on hard)

I tend to ride surfy rather than racing style, is there a way to know when it's too soft or too rigid? What so you look at? How woobly your feet feel mid carve? Wobbly lines in the snow? Can't bend zee knees?

So... Do people change springs on the fly according to conditions even within the same day? 

Edited by Zone

13 hours ago, Zone said:

is there a way to know when it's too soft or too rigid?

Sounds like you found 'too rigid' already.

To locate  'too soft', loosen things up progressively until you no longer receive feedback from the boot cuffs, and then start back in the other direction until you feel like dancing.

Granted, this is one of those things extremely dependent on personal preference for movement and operational philosophy. You want greater support in some directions, and less in others. When you get the range close to where it belongs, you should feel capable but not practically compromised in most circumstances.

"Surfy' suggests, but doesn't necessarily require, more flex.

Incidentally, really hard, and really soft snow are ideal for boot/binding setup evaluation. Everything in between is cheating.

• Like 1