Note to New Members ×

Coiler AM carving board review

kipstar

I got Bruce to make me an all mountain carver ideal for the soft snow conditions that Hokkaido gets, while still being able to carve firm groomers (which Hokkaido also gets) and go back to the era of hardboot boards that could ride it all - bumps, jumps, steeps, groomers, powder, slush.

What he created for me is a 172cm long 22.5cm waist heavily tapered AM with a bigger than normal nose, with the inserts mounted a little back from center.  I'm about 75kg, but the board is made of a person slightly lighter than me, so it flexes quite easily.

the first couple of turns the width was noticeable, then it just disappeared, and the board can literally do it all.  Knee to thigh deep chopped up powder, you can ride just back from center; none of this all weight in the backleg burn.  Moguls provided they aren't too hard suddenly becomes fun again.  The board LOVES lower speed big carves, and it's very easy to get hip to snow turns in any carving suitable conditions. Didn't ever have issues with edge breaking free from the bigger nose, it's like all of the good none of the bad.

Due to being a bit softer, the top speed is reduced a bit, which again, is a bonus when riding a lot of places with people, you can crank it right over without needing the entire run width or high speed.  

Hugely recommended - this board is an absolute keeper, and for anyone in places where you get proper powder (knee deep and above) instead of needing 2 boards on a trip, this one board will do it all.  Extra width means you can run the angles a little flatter, without any overhang, if I did it again, i might even go a tad wider again.

A few pics attached of a coiler stubby to give you a frame of reference on the nose size; not massively bigger, but the difference between effortless freeriding....and not.

IMG_20161223_225028.jpg

IMG_20161223_225045.jpg

IMG_20170105_132608.jpg

IMG_20170113_120105.jpg

I wondered about that too.  Really this is a carving board, I would be quite comfortable running any of the same terrain as my stubby, while I was in Japan I even ran a few gates on it, so I jammed it in here, it's not in the same category as a Prior 4WD or that sort of board.

Actually, from memory, I think it was YOUR AM that inspired mine :-) 

Edited by kipstar

Haha, which one of my AMs? :) I had so many... Just Coilers: 172/21, 176/21, 169/24 is very new to me... 

Your spec of 22.5 is probably the best all round for 26-27 boot, though. If I ever rebuilt my 169 from scratch, I should do 23 waist. 

Anyhow, enjoy, sounds like you have found your quiver killer! 

Oh, what SC you've got? My current one is about 9m.