Note to New Members ×

Heat moldable boot liner method

John E

I discovered a new method to heat moldable boot liners. I've tried the two listed on this forum but had trouble with both. 

I got some turkey cooking bags from the grocery store. I put one into each boot. I boiled about 3 quarts of water on the stove. I poured the hot water into the turkey bags. I let this stand for about 15 minutes, poured out the water, removed the bags and buckled my feet in. From there this method is like any of the other methods. I think that it worked pretty well. 

Last year when I tried the hot rice in a sock method, I found that it was difficult to get the rice all the way down into the toe of the boot. Earlier this season when I tried to heat the liner in the oven, I found it difficult to get the hot, soft liner into the shell & then get my foot in without wrinkling the liner. 

I got the larger (turkey) bags because I needed the length to get the bag all the way into the toe and still have some bag sticking out beyond the cuff. This might also work with some other type of plastic bag but I wasn't sure what type of plastic will withstand boiling water. 

Has anyone else tried this method?

• Like 1

I just bake em but some comments on getting the liner into the shell. Get another person to place the liner on your foot, hold it nice and tight around your calf and then put on some (tight) panty hose over the whole shebang.

Then when you place the foot/liner combo into the shell, have your helper pull UP on the liner to prevent any wrinkles. The strategy I use is start sliding in your foot/liner with a friend pulling up on the liner the entire time, get the thing in but DONT put any pressure on your heel just stand on your forefoot. Have the helper again pull nice and hard on the liner, making sure everything is properly wrapped, when you drop your heel into shell. You can then hold onto the liner when your helper buckles you up starting from the 2nd, 3rd 4th/5th, then 1st

Edited by michael.a