Note to New Members ×

Any Southern California carvers here??

kalalex

It was Feed the Need day; five cans of food and giving two hitch hikers a ride to the top got me on the mountain for nothing around 12:30. My little bro was already there and he was telling me another dude was out carving but I couldn't find him.

I am lucky enough to have a job that lets me out early too or I can change it to where I go in late.

Dude, if you come up around christmas drop me a line. I might be able to squeeeeeeze a half off ticket to The Canyons from my brother. Either trip you take, bring the Oxygen, I just got a Burton FP 185 and am looking for more people with GS boards that want to ride.

eddie

Eddie, It wasn't my brother that was at Brighton, he is currently working in San Diego. He is an insurance claims agent so he is inspecting homes that were either partially burned or completely burned and cutting checks to the property owners. He will be down here til the 21st and then heads back home. I know his boss gave him the rest of the month off once he arrives back home and my bro told me that he plans on riding alot, either skis or board.

I will definitely bring my Proton during WTC, I will also be carting my Prior with me. I'm not sure what you have in boards but if you have one I could use during the Christmas break I might be able to go carving one day. I just don't want to pack boards, skis, two pair of boots, clothes and all the other crap with me. If you have something Ic ould use I would pack my hardboots with me and use one of your boards, if that is okay.

I only have two boards and after taking a close look at the Burton the other day, it needs to get in for a repair. My friend said he will do it for me and since I am not paying anything I wont push him on time. All I have left is my Rossi 171.

I have not been into alpine long enough to aquire a nice quiver. I only wish. But, I can hold my own on the mountain and its hard to find someone to ride with that pushes me, unless it's Billy. Billy and Phil (don't know the guy yet) will blow your mind when you come up for the WTC, then you can see why they used to race for a living.

If you find something to ride, again, let me know and I will see what I can do to get out.

eddie

oldvolvosrule

Why no email?? I don't understand this.

Are you the one live in Redland???

As for my boards,,,,I ride Volkl GS 173 till 10 AM,,,and Burton FP 164 afterwards.

Were you coming to Big Bear last Saturday??

I'm going up tomorrow again.(Summit)

Anyone?

nekdut

what's your mammoth scheule like in January?

I wonder if I could join you if situation allows.

In your profile you can choose to not have people send you email directly thru the bomber site. According to the response, it seems this is what you elected to do. Saturday?? I was up on Wednesday and the snow was starting to get heavy toward the end of the day. Hopefully the temps will drop this evening so they can blow some snow. I'm the same guy that lives in Redlands. As fo rMammoth, just let me know the dates, I can always arrange time off.

Kalalex: I was just up there these last 4 days. WOW the conditions were GREAT. Friday and today were GREAT carving hardpack. And Sat/sun were wonderful freshies =) Anyway, I dont have a definite plan for January, but I'm thinking one of the last three weekends. I cant do the first 2. Perhaps the 23rd? Go ahead ane email me. We'll discuss this more.

Good to hear that.

I was at summit last saturday,,,and it was raining hard.

Had to give up after an hour of trying,,,,,snow was too heavy.

I go to Mammoth from 25th to 29th,,,a familty thing.

I'll try to email you around 10th of Jan. if I like Mammoth enough,,,this is my first time there.

• 2 months later...

I know this is an old thread, but Im new to this board and am STOKED to find that theres a forum dedicated to carving! Ive had a burton PJ7 since 95 when I spent a season in Steamboat, and just this year got a Killer Loop GS 180. Just rode it in Mammoth this past week. Snow was choppy as heck due to all the snowfall and I SUCK riding fresh with a hard setup, but on tuesday I managed to find some good turns even after a whole season off-hill due to injuries

anyway, livin in Fullerton. Never taken a hard setup to any local mountains because they always felt too small (or I figured Id get yelled at to SLOW DOWN at summit)

would love to hook up with some folks, especially advanced riders who can help me work on my technique. I can get pretty low and tight, but cant quite get that square shouldered heel turn down yet. some day Ill look like Victoria Jealouse in that old Burton ad:)

I went up this morning and met a few other carvers but no one was familiar with the website, so I had to educate them. There was one guy there on an all mountain board with what appeared to be TD1s, wearing a red/black jacket. Was this anyone from here? Snow was hero this morning and got chopped up as the day went on. Alex were you there?

Jack1080, here is the 411 on the local carving scene, I feel that Snow Summit has the best facilities for carving in Southern Cal. There are other resorts around like Mtn. High or Bear Mtn(owned by Snow Summit) or Snow Valley, but these places tend to cter to the jibbin, jumpin,twistin,grabbin and floppin set.

If you can do Snow Summit during mid-week the snow stays pretty good all day long but if you go on weekends be sure to get there bright and early for the corduroy cuz it disappears fast.

There are two other areas not quite in the LA area but easily driveable to get there, Mammoth Mtn and June Lake. These two areas are great carving destinations. They have runs there that will not only make your quads burn, your pants will catch on fire. Hope this helps

I hit Snow Summit with my skier friend on Friday. Snow conditions were great. 3 inches of fresh powder on top of the groomed. My friend and I were on the 3rd chair up. I wish I could do that at Mammoth on a powder day!

I tried doing some Euro-carves, but the snow was too soft and I kept sliding out:D It was only the second day on my newly acquired Oxygen Proton GS. I was really surprised how well I could ride that board in the shallow powder and bumps. That Proton is a really versatile board.

I'm going to Summit and Bear again on Sunday. Hopefully I'll meet some fellow carvers.

Hi guys,

Used to go to big bear many years ago, but have not been up there for quite some time now.

I would be up for meeting with you guys, maybe during the week. The weekends are just to dangerous.

Where do you usually go?

How many of you?

Let me know, and we shredd together...:D

25 is a nice area. Usually quite empty, the top portion is a bit to steep and bumpy for me to carve though.

Some of the side runs of 15 are great: bridges and christmas tree. Empty and a good pitch for carving.

The backside (13,14) is nice when they groom out there. Emtpy too.

I usually dislike coming down stump alley, broadway or anything towards canyon lodge. WAAY to crowded.

off 25 as youre getting off the chair, skiers left, the second run to the left, not sure what its called but its not that steep.

15 is aight but way too short!

Ive never taken my board over off 14, but maybe comin back up over to the main lodge..what...12? can see where those would be fun

I didnt even realize they groomed back at 14 cuz whenever Im over there its in a soft setup in the trees!