Note to New Members ×

Any Southern California carvers here??

kalalex

I met a guy named Robert (he's maybe around here too) who said a shop in Big Bear is planning alpine board clinic.

I called the shop and they say it would be in Feburary on one codintion that there should be enough interests.

I wonder how many here on BOL are from Souther California and interested in such clinic.

Jasen,

There are a few small mountains (Big bear/Snow Summit, Mt High) that are about 2-3 hours from San Diego. However, Mammoth mountain (4-5 hrs) is a very popular destination for S Cal as its considerably larger (3500 acres) and higher (11,053ft peak).

Mellow Yellow, they are kinda small but very crowded. If the snow is good you can also go to Mt. Baldy which I found is nearly empty during the weekdays and if it is an excellent snow year, the best free ridding steeps in So. Cal.

Here is the links to the mountains.

http://www.mthigh.com/

http://www.bigbearmountainresorts.com/

http://www.bigbearmountainresorts.com/

http://www.mtbaldy.com/

You can find all the information you are looking for.

The best part about So Cal I think was surfing in the morning and snowboarding in the afternoon.

Eddie

I live in L.A. and have been searching like crazy for a local race clinic. I spoke with someone at Mammoth who said he would set up a course for about $300 for two or three hours and maybe get someone out there to point at us and laugh. I also spoke with some guys at the ski dazzle show who seem to mostly teach freeride/ park stuff but said that they could set up a clinic but I was a bit sceptical even though the person I spoke with claimed to have made it to the USASA nationals. I have spoken with the guy (sorry I have forgotten his name) at Goldsmiths in Big Bear and considering his racing experience I would be psyched to get involved in a clinic with him.

alan

Alan,,,

That's right.

It's Goldsmith I talked to too.

At the time I wrote the post initially,,the name was at the tip of my tongue and couldn't get it right.

Let's gather around with enough carvers and ask Goldsmith.

Goldsmith said it's supposed to be a free clinic,,,,but I think chipping in a bit is not a bad idea for such a scarce opportunity/information around here. Then,,,maybe,,,we can ask them to hold it earlier than Feburary. The sooner the clinic the less pain and aggrevation :-) What you guys think?

The contact person at Goldsmith's is Alex, don't know his last name though. I was in Goldsmith's on Tuesday and they had didn't have much in inventory, 5 boards was all. The boards were all last years model or two years old. They do have a sh*tload of Raichle X-bone step ins though. Ther is another shop in the Wrightwood area that carries boots and even stocks TD2s, I dont Remeber the name but if you call Powder and Sun Sports in Victorville and ask for the number they will give it to you, its the same owner.

In other news, I went up to Summit today with my new(to me) Oxygen Proton 185. The first hour was good, I was rippin' the corduroy, feelin' good on the new stick, then the snow started dumpin, the light went flat and the Oxy was stuffed into the Jeep in favor of the Prior 4X4 179. I spent the morning riding the fresh, I also ran into 9 other alpine riders on the mtn. I couldn't believe it and neither should you!! I'm only kidding about the other alpine riders, I'm usually the only one on a carvin' stick. One funny thing about today, a young girl who works in the rental dept. at snow summit, insisted that I was riding a mono ski. I showed her the bindings and boots and plead till I could no more, she still didn't buy it.

Can't remember your name.

I used to see about two to three carvers sometimes at Mt. High. They would switch to regular boards when it got crowded (I only assume because they disappeared, maybe they were drinking in the parking lot).

Also, you still planning on the WTC in Utah? Hope to see more people there.

Eddie

Eddie, I'm still planning on attending WTC, I will be riding wednesday thru Saturday. leaving for home on Sat. night. I also could be dragging a few more bodies with me from the great state of Ahnold!! My brother lives in Riverton and he is planning on carving with us too.

I'm also coming up on Dec. 23, riding on the 24, 25 26, where? I do not know. At this point in time I don't know if I will be skiing or carving. I will let you know as the time draws closer.

My brother goes carving and skiing at Brighton alot. He has one of those jobs where he is done by 12:00 everyday. He has a my buddy who hooks him up with tickets also. I know he wants to ride other places but the free skiing at Brighton is a strong draw.

He usually carves for a few runs then switches over to the sticks.