Note to New Members ×

Partial INTEC heel failure

Mark.Andersen

Yesterday morning I broke an Intec heel. It wasn't a total failure as the system continued to perform its primary function: keeping my foot attached to the board...

I was in the terrain park and I came up just short on a table top; landed right on the knuckle. I kept the Ptex side down, but out of the corner of my eye, I saw a black chunk of plastic skittering across the run. I stopped and picked up the debris. As you can see below, I broke one of the "ears" off my front heel. The pins remained intact and functional.

After an quick but thorough inspection, I jugded the heel to be intact enough to gingerly slide back to the car.

I was really relieved that the heel kept itself together and saved my back leg. I'll be avoiding the terrain park when riding INTECs from now on. I'm just not sure that the plastic is strong enough to withstand a bad landing/fall.

Be careful out there!!

1o9miu

Mark,

Thank God. Last thing we need is another tahoe carver injury. Be carefull with those intecs. I switched back to regular and gave up the intec so long there is no strong (enough for me) heel available.

I'll try to bring your burtons this friday, will give a call in advance.

Thanks guys.

The heels had well north of 50 days on them. Bought in 2001, used with TD1s, F2s, and TD2s. The same heels survived a crash that ripped the cant adjuster out of my boots (Raichle SB) and broke my ankle in 2002.

Since recovering, I've been taking the alpine rig through the park for the past two seasons. I definitely landed pretty hard when it broke, but I know I've had harder landings and the heels were fine.

I'd imagine that the failure had been in the works for a while and that landing was the last straw. Not ready to give up on INTEC yet, I still think they are as reliable as toe clips. I'll just be checking them religiously, and going easier on the air time... :D

Guest Randy S.

Hey Mark, if you need a new pair of heels in a hurry, let me know. I have some spares up at the cabin. I'm sure we could figure out a way for you to get them. Glad to hear you didn't get hurt. That woulda sucked. Its bad enough that Joel and I are on the shelf.