Note to New Members ×

Fitting thermo liners?

1xsculler

Took mine to my local ski shop who do Intuition liners etc. Seemed a bit nervous but gave them a print out of YYZCanucks instructions and off they went. Seems timings are similar. I had to get mine re-done after 1st week away but they were more than happy and charged reduced rate. So happy feet.

http://www.yyzcanuck.com/E_tech_cooking.htm

Four questions to throw at a bootfitter in regards to TF's;  "Have you done these before?" , "Do you use a air-convection oven?" , "Do you have [foam/wet-suit type] toe-cap mini-socks?" , and , "If this doesn't work this attempt, what's the next attempt going to cost?" .

1st query, will help you decide whether to employ this person/shop for this. 2nd query, if yes, will keep you from over-cooked toes or shins, as turbo-convection ovens heat more evenly than even turkey-baste-bags do, and if a spot or 3 get too hot, you'll not like the mold-up process so much. 3rd will help keep the toes from getting too scrunched by the mold-up pressure (I recommend thin smooth socks, but also those foam 'tween-the-toes pads found at pharmacies. Unlike Skiers, we want the toes to have just a lil' bit of wiggle room!). 4th is obvious, because, these can get re-molded, but success isn't guaranteed on the first try.  Be sure to ask about footbeds, and don't mold-in cork ones, as the cork's bonds may well crack in the mold-up.

If doing this for yourself, be sure to talk it over with someone here who's done this, and, have an assistant who knows how to fasten boots reasonably quickly to help out. There's only about 3-4 minutes time from oven to foot-in-boot, with a good 12-15 minutes of foot-in-boot cool-down, with buckles only 'just snug'.

DO NOT max out on any buckle, as you'll need the compressiblity later for a secure fit! It is something that's do-able at home, but I believe if you find a decent bootfitter, you'll be pretty happy, or happier, anyway.

I've been in TF's since '93 (that's 9 pair in hardshells, 4 in softies), and have had only one pair 'go south' where the foam inside actually sheared at a flex-point (softboots, btw), although 4 pair eventually lost the inner cloth sock when I was Instructing on an everyday basis.

I highly recommend them!  :1luvu:

I did it myself a few times. The first try was unsatisfactory because the toe cap I had made was too thin, so the resulting toe-box was too small. Apart from that, it was pretty straightforward. I can give you more details if you want.