Note to New Members ×

Swix Snowboard Vice?

Miguel

Has anyone used the Swix snowboard vice that has the four suction cups attached to it? There are two cups that attach the vice to a smooth surface and two more that attach the board to the vice. It also has a slot for edge tuning. It seems like it would be an inexpensive, simple vice that would be great for traveling. Any experiences with this vise? BTW...it would be my ONLY vice.

miguel

I just bought this vice via ebay and, while its made from plastic, it seems quite sturdy and the features are good. It has a rubberized flat surface for waxing (actually holds quite well!) and then that flips to the side and theres an edging part as well.

I had to drill my bench because the clamps wouldnt fit but that was the bench not the vice itself.

no experience with the swix one.

I just bought one of those things at lunch time today...

I got it at a discount/colseout store for $7.00 +tax!

Don't know how much you we're gonna spend but if you want one I'll go and grab it for ya tomorrow. They only had a couple of them and the box was a little rough but all the parts are there.

Let me know.

rustyinnh@yahoo.com

For you New England guys, I got it at "TJ Maxx" of all places.

Rusty

D-sub, I just got one of those. My only complaint is that the edge slots are very narrow, so you have to have it mounted on a long bench so that you can slide it in close to the tip and tail. That and the whole tie-it-down-with-a-string deal when you have it flat for waxing/base bevel seems a little flimsy.

I might add that tools4boards negotiates on price too - I lost an auction on that vice at $41 and asked if they would ship one at that price and they said yes. Retail on their website is $89.

$59 US...I negotiated too though. just was asked not to say so;)

yes, the edge slot is narrow. I didnt even get a cord with mine. dont see the need to tie it down really. seems to stick just fine. I actually removed the side extensions...

but yes, the edge slot...I just sorta shoved the board in there:)

thats something that should be pointed out to them. with the locking lever that slot should be MUCH wider. I removed the inner plastic sleeve dealy and that opened up a little room

They didn't ask me to keep quiet. No way is that thing worth $89. I got their tuning kit for $35 and well... it's a $35 tuning kit if that, and certainly no more. Sure ain't worth the $57 or so they have it listed for. Gave them positive feedback because there's nothing too misleading in their presentation but I wasn't blown away.

PS you should have gotten a third C-clamp with a cord attached - or did you get the other one? I have the Cinch.

[looks at pictures] I see, same vice except with little nobs at the end that overlay the edges, which would get in the way a bit. Mine doesn't have the nobs, instead the string from the 3rd vice loops through the bindings and then you snug it down to the supports. Kinda low-tech but it works not too bad.

I paid 25 for the vice and 34 for the tuning kit. :D

I really only use the wax scraper although my bro-in-law has used the wax repair sticks and they work good. He just lit it on fire and dripped it on his base, then used the metal scraper to smooth it out. It worked great. I still haven't used them on my boards, so I'm glad he did it first to his board! :)

I did not recieve any 3rd clamp or string with mine. I don't use the devices that hold the board in place when waxing; my bench is not long enough and the board is too thick, but I've yet to have the board slip as the rubber holds just fine. Those knobs would in fact just get in the way regardless.

Neil: Have you used the edge tool? Does it seems hard to keep it level? This is my first season doing tuning and I'm pretty hesitant to use it...

D-Sub: What are you using as a bench? I've been looking at some on the Sears website but they have so many it's hard to choose...

RDY

dude...if you have a home depot near you, head on down there and grab the bench they have! Its a full blown workbench...drawers, shelves, top shelf, etc, and has a perfect lip for the vise to clamp to

I think its black and decker. it was in the tools section at the HD near me.

$139 or something like that. damn fine deal from what I saw!

mine, I got at lowes...it was about $100, and was also a damn good deal until I realized I cant clamp anything due to the way its built. oh well.

anyway...I was impressed with the one at HD and would definitely buy it if I needed another