Note to New Members ×

164 Alp vs 164 Ultra Prime vs Donek Axxcess of comparable specs

1xsculler

Another thread on same topic? Ah well...

Alp is all-mountain carver, performs ok in soft/fresh snow too.

UP is a freecarver, some people say good EC board too. There are few generations, they do not ride same. At some stage the sidecut radius changed. It is narrower then the other 2 boards and has smaller nose.

Donek AX, also depends which gen are you talking about. Old glass stock board would be stiffer then ALP, but still a great all-mountain carver, The newer titanal ones will ride damper and will have better edge hold. If ordering a brand new, you can have the flex custom tuned for yourself.

In the similar board category, you can also look at Prior 4WD and Coiler AM or AMT. Since the Burtons are in the game too, I'd also look at the wider Speeds.

I'd take the Donek AX, in any of it's forms, over the Burtons, just on build quality. The Alp, well, early on ('97) was interesting in it's tight-turn control, but having split the cores (lenghtwise) on 2 of the 3 I owned along the Toeside Edge, um, nope, don't go there (only my re-inserted M-5 asym split like this, after being a teach-hack for 4 seasons). Turn radius would be the factor to think over. There, Donek has it ALL OVER Burton...

The UP is a good board, but not a board I'd buy. It has a sidecut that pushes the rider to center, so moves towards the nose just wash-out, and power to the tail is weakened by loss of grip. So, it quickly becomes a one-two-trick Pony that can't Gallop. 

I haven't ridden the other 2 boards , but I have a stock Donek Axxis 162 from 2008 which I learned on and has been my 'go to' board for 8 years.  It does great in fluff, mush, chopped and groom.  It performs quite adequately through bumps and off-piste.  I love its versatility on busy weekends when I have to alternate carved turns with slarving around traffic.  It's difficult to carve ice and frozen groom on it, however.  It's also may be bit stiff for my weight (165 lb.), with all that that entails.