Note to New Members ×

Unique Ski Vid - iPhone on String!?

Hilux

Holy cow...that is incredible.  I get the fact that it's a camera (Phone?) attached to a string and whirled above his head like a lasso....but:

a) how does he keep the lens pointed at him the whole time?

b) I see several (at least two) "strings" leading off-camera...they seem spread wide apart...so not clear what they are attached to (two ends of the phone?)....maybe that's the answer to "a"?

His editing (varied speed, etc) does a great job at preventing the vertigo/dizzyness one might otherwise feel watching this.   Amazing the creativity out there in people!

Holy cow...that is incredible.  I get the fact that it's a camera (Phone?) attached to a string and whirled above his head like a lasso....but:

b) I see several (at least two) "strings" leading off-camera...they seem spread wide apart...so not clear what they are attached to (two ends of the phone?)....maybe that's the answer to "a"?

His editing (varied speed, etc) does a great job at preventing the vertigo/dizzyness one might otherwise feel watching this.   Amazing the creativity out there in people!

I noticed the 2 strings/tethers as well.  iPhone on one and perhaps a counter weight of sorts to stabilize/balance on the other? 

I don't know Apple phones, but chances are they're the same as standard phones. So... how about.... pick the side of the phone with the best lens, and then attach one string to each of the four corners of the phone. Make these four strings into a "bridle" by joining them together, somewhere nearer to the phone than the shortest focal distance it has, probably. Then fasten one string to that bridle, and whiz it around your head.

I think that will work, but I don't mean to suggest it's easy and chances are you have to play around a lot to learn what actually works.

You could, as suggested, just use centripetal force to keep it "in line", perhaps. I'm not sure that would give you the same stability, but you could use the same approach with a bridle, except fasten it on the "outside" of the phone and stick a weight on the end of it, so it's a stabilizer for the phone, keeping it tangential to the radius of the main string... but you'd still need to fasten the string to the phone so I'm not sure this achieves much (arguably replacing four visible strings with one).

Presumably you'd want to have rotational speed (required to maintain it high enough) as low as possible.

As the string(s) would be presumably fairly static relative to the camera, and (unlike a pole) fairly thin, you may be able to clone them out of the video. You can clone poles out of GoPro video, but it's fiddly and very time consuming, and hard if the board is at all visible.